Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Announcement of some changes

I looked in the admin panel and I'm not seeing anything that would prevent a new topic from being posted in timely tips, but the new topic button is certainly not there for some reason. Nut sure if its due to the age of that forum not being used for so many years maybe Will turned it into just and archived forum or what the reason is. 

Norm if you would like to start a new timely tips feel free too and I will pin the new one till I can find out what the deal is with the old one. If I figure it out then I can just combine the two, or if its archived and unable to open the old one back up then the new one will be at least open to new tips.

Thanks for providing my favorite FF/Tying forum.   Enjoy the addition of the Classic section; such beautiful work there.    BTW, I have the same problem navigating the pages at the bottom.

Thanks again, Bob H.

I wish I could figure that navigation thing out for you guys. I know there's a few/number of people that have that problem. Afraid that is a bit above my head though since that must be a programming problem. I'll tryin see if I can contact Will about it, that's not always easy to do though.

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

I know there's a few/number of people that have that problem.

It comes and goes on my end, so its no big dealio for me.  

As to the site, I agree with all posted above: you guys do an awesome job that is greatly appreciated.  

41 minutes ago, flytire said:

Timely tips has no button to reply to that forum

Yep I see, I don't know why though, something weird going on with that. So what I was saying was if you have some tips, go ahead and start a new post with them and we'll get a new timely tips going and I can pin that for everyone.

19 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

While I think they are two extremely important topics, and I have strong views on both, nothing can cause arguments quicker than discussions online about those. Those discussions are best left to in person talks and not online so we will never have that here.

If only more celebrities, sports icons and corporations could figure that out.  I've never understood a business model that alienates up to 50% of your potential customers?  That is exactly what happens when entities make public political comments.  

Enjoy the site.  I too am having issues with the numbered buttons on posts. For example, moving from page 3 to 5 by clicking on the number 5 doesn't work.  Next button doesn't work either.

Regarding moving from one page to another...If I am accessing the site from an email due to a subject I am following - no problem. If I access the site via Microsoft Edge - no problem. However if I access the site via Google Chrome then I cannot simply jump from one page to another on the given topic.

Go figure......

I want to add my voice to the chorus of those expressing appreciation for all you and the mods do to provide this great resource for us, Steve. The changes you're making seem like a good idea to me. 

I was checking my profile just now and noticed that I've been a member of this forum for over 10 years! I've certainly learned a lot and, even though I've never met anyone from the forum in person, I feel like I've made some good friends here. Looking forward to many more (years and friends). :)

We do appreciate your fine efforts with this site.  I agree that the categories with the most posts should be further up the list, as of now near the top, Classic and Artistic flies only have 783 total posts while down at the bottom, you have the Beginners section with over 34,000 posts, so yea, rearranging them would be neat.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, robow7 said:

We do appreciate your fine efforts with this site.  I agree that the categories with the most posts should be further up the list, as of now near the top, Classic and Artistic flies only have 783 total posts while down at the bottom, you have the Beginners section with over 34,000 posts, so yea, rearranging them would be neat.

Thanks again.

Well, "Classic Flies" has only been around since 2020 and "Beginners" has been here since 2005 so there's a little more to it, but we know what you mean.

Yep, that classic site I just started I think not even a year ago. And Beginners section I think Will & I started not long after the site came online 20 or so yrs ago. So thats why that has so many posts. When I look at activity, I look by daily/weekly/monthly in the admin panel.   So we'll see how things go and prob do some re-arranging down the road depending on how activity is.

I may be the only one, or one of just a few, and I've only been a member here for five years now, but I really have no interest in gun talk, hunting talk, and general outdoors talk. (The gun talk in particular is really not my cup of tea, though I have nothing at all against guns per se, and I really do value the right to own one and respect the same rights of others.)

There are many, many highly active forums available for the members who want to talk at length about those subjects, but relatively few active forums that focus on fly tying. And probably none as active and wide ranging about fly tying as this one is. At least that's my impression, though I may be mistaken I suppose.

What I would like as this new change moves forward, for my own selfish interests, would be a way to check in on new unread fly tying and fly fishing content without having to filter through unread discussion threads in the other new subject matters. Is there a way to do that without having to read through all the new topic headings on unrelated subjects? Perhaps the Artistic and Salmon Fly posters, just as an example, are interested in a similar filter to weed out the less artful stuff? Maybe some of the warm water or salt water guys would want to filter out the trout stuff. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud that such a filter might be a useful feature in general, to maximize overall active membership. (I have no clue if it's feasible.)

I really do appreciate all the work, history, and patience that goes into hosting this site. Thank you Steve, and Will, and Mike, and now Mark, for that. And if I'm the sole outlier, well, it's a familiar enough tune so I'll deal with it. But if there's a way to keep the fly tying stuff more handy as the site ventures more into guns, hunting and other activities, it would keep at least me far more interested and engaged.

This is not meant as a complaint or criticism at all, just speaking up.