Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Announcement of some changes

6 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

I may be the only one, or one of just a few, and I've only been a member here for five years now, but I really have no interest in gun talk, hunting talk, and general outdoors talk. (The gun talk in particular is really not my cup of tea, though I have nothing at all against guns per se, and I really do value the right to own one and respect the same rights of others.)

There are many, many highly active forums available for the members who want to talk at length about those subjects, but relatively few active forums that focus on fly tying. And probably none as active and wide ranging about fly tying as this one is. At least that's my impression, though I may be mistaken I suppose.

What I would like as this new change moves forward, for my own selfish interests, would be a way to check in on new unread fly tying and fly fishing content without having to filter through unread discussion threads in the other new subject matters. Is there a way to do that without having to read through all the new topic headings on unrelated subjects? Perhaps the Artistic and Salmon Fly posters, just as an example, are interested in a similar filter to weed out the less artful stuff? Maybe some of the warm water or salt water guys would want to filter out the trout stuff. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud that such a filter might be a useful feature in general, to maximize overall active membership. (I have no clue if it's feasible.)

I really do appreciate all the work, history, and patience that goes into hosting this site. Thank you Steve, and Will, and Mike, and now Mark, for that. And if I'm the sole outlier, well, it's a familiar enough tune so I'll deal with it. But if there's a way to keep the fly tying stuff more handy as the site ventures more into guns, hunting and other activities, it would keep at least me far more interested and engaged.

This is not meant as a complaint or criticism at all, just speaking up.

Hi Chug, I'm not sure you will even notice. (Of course I could be wrong)  People used to post those things (hunting and handgunning) in the lodge and now they will post them in specific sub-forums. I think if you don't need scroll down past the top four headings you probably won't see any of that other stuff.

It could be that your devise works differently than mine, in that case please disregard everything I just said and I beg for your lenience.

I hadn't realized I could get to unread content through the main forums page. I had been accessing it a different way. 🤔

You may be right.

image.png.93cb14c065197b5c5a1d3954ead9b23a.png

Nice job.  I still think it would be a good idea to have a combined Warm Water/Salt water forum.   There should be enough of us who spend our time either fishing warm water or salt water to support a forum where we can discuss issues and ways to approach them.  I've been on the board since 2003, with a slight hiatus, and I've always found those forums useful.

I have one small suggestion.  We are a pretty friendly and supporting bunch here on this site.  Maybe you'd think about putting the "New Member" section at/near the top. It would be easier for some of the lookie-loos to see and might just get them to join in.  Also, at/near the top would be stand out more for someone seeing the forum for the first time as well as help the current members offer a nice welcome.  Like I said, small!

Kim

On 2/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, SalarMan said:

Regarding moving from one page to another...If I am accessing the site from an email due to a subject I am following - no problem. If I access the site via Microsoft Edge - no problem. However if I access the site via Google Chrome then I cannot simply jump from one page to another on the given topic.

Go figure......

George, I use Chrome mostly to access the site because I'm on a work issued laptop.  Nothing happens when I click any of the pre, 1,2,3, next tabs shown below.  What I have to do in right click the tab and select "Open link in new window".

image.png.f8c9e022dd75f26e1761863f331915b6.png

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

George, I use Chrome mostly to access the site because I'm on a work issued laptop.  Nothing happens when I click any of the pre, 1,2,3, next tabs shown below.  What I have to do in right click the tab and select "Open link in new window".

image.png.f8c9e022dd75f26e1761863f331915b6.png

That has been working for me lately as well, and the same goes for the "prev" block. So far so good with the changes from my perspective!!

i just downloaded google chrome as a test and the navigating from page to page like what is shown above worked perfectly

clicking on individual page numbers took me directly to that page

try uninstalling your current chrome browser and do a fresh install. you shouldn't lose anything from your current edition browser

try downloading the microsoft edge browser. its based on chrome and seems to work better

i dont believe this forum has anything to do with not being able to navigate page to page

only a guess on my part, but that could be the problem with other posters not having done any updates to their browsers

i dont know if browsers have automatic updates turned on in the settings

5 minutes ago, flytire said:

i dont know if browsers have automatic updates turned on in the settings

I think that is something that the user can choose if I'm not mistaken. I know on FireFox which is what I use I have it set to ask me if I want to update rather than just automatically doing it.

If anyone else does the update and this works for them make sure to reply here and if that seems to fix the issue then I'll post and sticky about it in the site issues forum. I know there's been a number of guys that had this issue so if that's the fix for them that would be nice.

6 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I think that is something that the user can choose if I'm not mistaken. I know on FireFox which is what I use I have it set to ask me if I want to update rather than just automatically doing it.

If anyone else does the update and this works for them make sure to reply here and if that seems to fix the issue then I'll post and sticky about it in the site issues forum. I know there's been a number of guys that had this issue so if that's the fix for them that would be nice.

Mine does up-dates all the time and the problems are still intermittent.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, chugbug27 said:

image.png.93cb14c065197b5c5a1d3954ead9b23a.png

I have nothing to say about the changes. Chug this made me chuckle. I haven’t seen/heard that in a long time. What a heart warming memory that harkened me back to. 

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Chug this made me chuckle. I haven’t seen/heard that in a long time. What a heart warming memory that harkened me back to. 

Me too.

Actually, I did see one little item that is a bit of a bug.  Under the Swaps section there is a listing (of yours, in fact) entitled "Banned Swappers" that's about a generation out of date.  Could that be cleaned up or updated?  Just asking for a friend.😉

Kim