Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

7' MHX spin rod

Have you actually used those guides or gotten reports back in? I've looked at them but just haven't popped for any of the rods I've redone yet.

Nick,

Steve built spinning rods for both my wife and me with the Air Wave guides. There is no hype with them, they do work better. We would have them on any other rods that were built for us. 
Tom

Yep I've used them on one of my own as well as my families rods. There is a noticeable difference between the micro/airwave guide system and the traditional cone of flight tall frame guides.

I know nothing of those Airwave guides.  But it looks to me as if they're just glorified "small hole" guides.  If they made baitcaster guides on tall stems, I think they'd do the same thing.

Nope they wouldn't Mike. I know it doesn't look like something major, but this system is actually extremely well thought out for height and spacing as well as the inner ring in the first guide. If you tried tall frame small ring guides like mentioned it would not cast even as far as a normal cone of flight setup and most likely would loop around the tall frame small guides because you need the first control guide with the inner ring.   The inner ring on the stripper guide (in the pic) actually tames the coils and transfers it into a straight line after it hits the larger rings and then goes down through the smaller one. Then the next guide is an intermediate height, then the rest are all small frame real close to the blank. But also the guide spacing is extremely important. You have to measure from the lip of the spool of the reel with the spool extended out to the furthest point, then place the first three guides at exact spots on the blank to get it all to work properly. The spacing and the height of the first few guides is very important in this system. Then the rest of the running guides that are small frame are not "as" important, but they do need to be spaced about 4.5" or so apart so there are a lot more of them than on a normal cone of flight set up.

When it first came out about 10 yrs or so ago I was extremely skeptical, thought it was a just a gimmick. The first time I tried it on a rod and cast I knew it wasn't a gimmick. It does add a good 20 or more feet to distance, and accuracy better as well.

Here's a good link to describe in pretty simple terms

https://www.americantackle.us/microwave-guides