Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Walther pistols

Well was at the gun shop today and something caught my eye. I have been thinking about picking up another Glock, this time a full frame size so was looking at the G45 9mm. But then the guy handed me a Walther PDP 9mm, optics ready, picitinny rail on the frame, 18+1, man did it feel good in hand. Only about $80 more than the Glock as well.

I've heard good things about Walther, but have never owned or even fired one. Anyone here own one or have any input on Walther pistols?

I have a Walther PPK .380 that I bought in 1989. I haven’t actually pulled it out of the safe in years but it was a great reliable shooter. I don’t think it ever jammed on me and I carried it everyday for years. Stop carrying it because it was replaced by lighter, smaller and bigger calibers over the years. I can’t speak for the new Walthers but the name always meant quality to me. 

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

Well was at the gun shop today and something caught my eye. I have been thinking about picking up another Glock, this time a full frame size so was looking at the G45 9mm. But then the guy handed me a Walther PDP 9mm, optics ready, picitinny rail on the frame, 18+1, man did it feel good in hand. Only about $80 more than the Glock as well.

I've heard good things about Walther, but have never owned or even fired one. Anyone here own one or have any input on Walther pistols?

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

I have a Walther PPK .380 that I bought in 1989. I haven’t actually pulled it out of the safe in years but it was a great reliable shooter. I don’t think it ever jammed on me and I carried it everyday for years. Stop carrying it because it was replaced by lighter, smaller and bigger calibers over the years. I can’t speak for the new Walthers but the name always meant quality to me. 

Walthers are very popular and I can't say I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about them. My only exposure to them, however, was to re-fit them with mammoth ivory grips. 18+1 is amazing.

I have a buddy that just got 9mm Walther. I shot it a couple of weeks ago. He has enormous hands and I have smaller hands. The gun fit my handa as well as his was easy to control and was fairly well balanced.

I have a PPK in .22.   As Mike said, it's my James Bond gun.  It's not a .380, but....  I like it.  It's all metal, no plastic or polymer.  It feels good in my hand, and it's fun to shoot.  Somewhere I have an article I I cut out from  "Gun Tests" on the 9mm.  They gave it an A rating.  I'm still debating whether to trade in my 9 mm Ruger for the Walther.  The only other 9mm I have is a WW II Luger made by Mauser.   

'