Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Traditional archery

Anyone on here use a recurve or longbow?  I have a compound, but have been shooting my Dad's old recurve.  Probably 50 years old, Browning.

I have a custom Black Widow, take down, re-curve. Haven't shot it much but I intend to, to get ready for a fall deer hunt.

I had a Bear Kodiak, 45#. Like an idiot I sold it for $25 which is what I paid for it. Same bow is now over $400!

5 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I had a Bear Kodiak, 45#. Like an idiot I sold it for $25 which is what I paid for it. Same bow is now over $400!

I had one of those too.

I just got new arrows with feather fetching and some kudu point broadleaf.  I have somewhat bought in to the Ed Ashby single bevel heavy tip broadleaf.  I am only going up to 150 grains.

I have an older Herter's 47# recurve still in good shape bought it in the mid 70's. Doesn't get out of the case much but still like to pull it on occasion.

My first was a cheap PSE Sable TD recurve 45#..... I had a sweet older Pearson (can't remember the model name) 50# glass backed, 42" ...surprisingly smoother than the Bear Super Magnum 50# 46"

I am getting dialed in, but found the 150 gr to overwhelm the bow at over 20 yards. Switched to 100 gr.  

My son and I both shoot traditional.  He won a Pup from Mad Dog archery off the tradgang website.  Such a fun hobby too.  Cresting arrows to fletching feathers, it's something we can do together.  Lots of good memories from traditional 3D archery shoots.  The R100 is on my list of things to do (hopefully sooner than later)

My eldest daughter got me back into shooting bows.  We Elk hunted last year and are going in September  for a week.  She is dialed in with her compound and I prefer trad bows.  Great to share an interest with your kids.  She also fly fishes with me.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:49 AM, DarrellP said:

My eldest daughter got me back into shooting bows.  We Elk hunted last year and are going in September  for a week.  She is dialed in with her compound and I prefer trad bows.  Great to share an interest with your kids.  She also fly fishes with me.

It's great. My son and I hunt and fish together when we can. He has no reason to tie though. "Dad, you got any flies?"

I realize this is a zombie thread, but I just came upon it yesterday.  I am (or was) an archer who made his own bows and arrows.  I recently got rid of my recurves because I can no longer pull them so I gave them to some people who can.  A 21st Century (Super Nova), a Kodiak 45 pound.  What I have left is a yew 6' bow of about 40 pounds, an English style bow.  I've made several bows in the past out of Osage and yew and hickory.  Got a 6' stave in yew I was working on until I broke a hip.

I used to shoot a lot in longbows and recurves.  I edited "Primitive Archer" mag for several years and have made a number of all wood bows.  My strength for shooting bows has left me, but it sure was fun when I could do it.