Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mrgramps

Your Favorite Stimulator colors

I enjoy tying and use the Stimulator and I know that there are others out there that fish the pattern also.

I wanted to ask everyone, what are your favorite Stimulator colors?

51373600668_02b11ba10a_c.jpg

51373367031_396086f048_c.jpg

51372609112_14c66d9f71_c.jpg

I like the Irish Lough style flies, and gold is my favorite; floats well enough and works as a general attractor.  Never a big fan of the standard Stimi (and definitely not on the Tiemco 200); I end up using a lot of hackle on them and they don’t float for very long. For stuff like golden stoneflies or salmonflies, I’ll stick with a Carnage.

Regards,
Scott

Thank you SBPatt for the pictures of your pattern. I never tied a pattern such as yours  but I'll give it a try. 

If you can find a copy of: 

1.  Kaufmann, Randall; Kaufmann, Mary (2008). Fly Patterns-Tie Thousands of Flies. Moose, WY: Western Fisherman Press. p. 169, 236-7. ISBN 9781885212238.

Kaufmann describes almost 2 dozen variations of the stimulator.  Some are shown at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulator_(dry_fly)

Have used them for 25 years everywhere-mainly the West,NW,West Canada,Alaska,and S. America, New Zealand.Use them for mainly a searching pattern and is my go to  hopper and stone pattern. It helps cut down the # of flies I have to carry. They float!

Orange/Yellow, black w/ light wing,orange/green body, yellow/yellow are probably my favs but there are many more versions. They are all tied the same way- I tie the original Randall Kaufmann version except I don't like using Angora Goat.

Thank you blackfoots for your information.  I have always liked these bushy floating flies and yes, they do float and catch trout.