Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Remington rifle revamp

I have way too much of my grandpa in me. He was the type of person that always had to be doing something and could never just sit still. I'm the same way. After working on rods for 9hrs today, got done around 8pm and decided to start another project rather than relax. Actually I find projects relaxing so guess that's my way of unwinding.

I have a number of old .22 rifles. Couple are mint condition like my Marlin M4 semi auto and my Marlin Golden 39A. Then there are ones like this one. It's a Remington model 41, bolt action single shot made between 1936-1939. I shot this gun a ton when I was younger. It still is accurate as hell, but cosmetically, it's seen better day. So decided to start stripping it down.

Since this one is not in great shape and not worth a whole lot to collectors, I plan to make it a more modernized looking rifle. Already started sanding down the stock, plan to fill the dents & dings in it then smooth it all out and prime/paint it with a modern camo style paint job and do some airbrush work to it. Same goes for the barrel. Will take the bolt/carrier out and clean/polish them up. Going to drill & tap the barrel to accept a picatinny rail and put a 3x9 scope I just ordered on it. Just make it a nice looking fun little plinking gun.

vnTIGzd.jpg

H89d3o7.jpg

I inherited 4 shotguns from my father that I grew up hunting with. They were old “hardware store” guns purchased in the 1960’s and stored in the eaves of his house for their final decade. They were junk new and even bigger junk when I got them. I traded three in at a gun buy back  for three $75.00 Acme gift cards. $225.00 for garbage guns that probably cost 25 bucks new and we’re going to be cut up and thrown out in The trash Anyhow, I kept the 12 ga. Double barrel with plans on chopping it down refinishing it. I will be eagerly watching your updates. 

5 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

stored in the eaves of his house for their final decade.

I'm guessing he did because a firearm stored like that would prob have been so corroded they prob were past even restoring to the capability of ever being fire again.

That's a shame to ruin any firearm, no matter how cheap it was. Years ago, I was at a Hunter Education workshop. Part of the day was trap and skeet shooting. A guy had a new Remington 11-87. Took it out of a fleece lined case. Looked like it had measles. He was sick! Collected moisture and ruined the bluing.

They had zero value both money wise and sentimental and neither of my brothers wanted them. I didn’t really inherit them, it was more like nobody else wanted them and I couldn’t leave them in the house so I took them and secured them in my safe. My memories of hunting and shooting with them are memories of hunting and shooting with my father and brothers not memories of the actual guns used. They were old, unwanted, never to be used again. now they are no longer taking up space, safely destroyed and I was well fed for a month. A win win for sure. 

Poopdeck, knew of a fellow who had two junk, inoperable (note this word) guns on a wall rack. Good ones were secured and out of sight. His reasoning was: someone breaks in, sees the guns, grabs them and leaves. Good guns are not touched. Retired sheriff said burglars want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Might be worth noting for gun owners.

11 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Poopdeck, knew of a fellow who had two junk, inoperable (note this word) guns on a wall rack. Good ones were secured and out of sight. His reasoning was: someone breaks in, sees the guns, grabs them and leaves. Good guns are not touched. Retired sheriff said burglars want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Might be worth noting for gun owners.

Can’t hurt having a decoy or two. 

SD, what type of paint did you use and what kind of topcoat or you going to use!

I'm using the paints I use on my RC cars actually. I choose that because its designed to be used on lexan car body so stand up to flexible issues so very durable. Figure if it works for a RC car body hitting a curb at 60mph it should be good for a rifle stock . Then tomorrow I am gonna seal it with a gloss "rattle can" clear I think.

After getting done with rod work this evening I was able to put a little time in to finish up this. Really pleased with how it turned out for a few hours here & there type of revamp.. Definitely doesn't look like an 80+ yr old rifle anymore. Will be nice to get it back out and using it again after all these years. All that's left to do now is hit the range with it and get the new scope zeroed in.

ABaoXIg.jpg

G5BAo96.jpg

qnpf4eQ.jpg

etTOXMQ.jpg

Looking good! The one below it looks like a Winchester when Winchester revamped it's line of rifles and shotguns in 1964. I had a 1200 pump which was a poor replacement for the Model 12. The 12 was 99% machined parts and was relegated to the custom shop. Because of the expense of manufacturing, it was discontinued. They are now bringing big bucks...if you can find someone who will part with it.

Yep that one below it is a Winchester model 290. Think that one was made from about mid 60's till early 70's. That one is in pretty good shape so at some point when I get a chance I plan to take that one apart and just do a real good cleaning on it but keep it all as is.