Fly Tying
fishingbobnelson

13th Annual Opening Day Swap -- We Are Full

On 2/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, Noahguide said:

I'll jump in.  I was waiting to make sure  I would be back to my tying stuff in time.

TBD (I'll tie what works this weekend)

12 ea. Size 18 Death eater nymphs tied and ready for tagging. They are what worked this past weekend.

20220211_124240.jpg

20220225_120951.jpg

20220226_162429.jpg

13 hours ago, Noahguide said:

Death eater nymphs

Nice fly.  Small and black work well early season up here.  A quick search turns up nothing, do you mind posting a  recipe or link?.  

6 hours ago, niveker said:

Nice fly.  Small and black work well early season up here.  A quick search turns up nothing, do you mind posting a  recipe or link?.  

Thanks,

It's my name for it so I doubt you would find it.  Based on "on-stream guides" deadly duo.  I used to tie with soft hackle but settled on my own recipe below.

Umpqua U-Series U202 Curved Scud, Size 18/20

Thread Black 8/0

Arizona Simi-Seal Black or Black Magic- Thinly dubbed

Black Hen neck, very shortest feathers down by the neck,  tied in by stem (Gunnar style) then 2-3 turns.

I fish this on a 6X  tied to the fly with a Davy knot and then 12” to a perfection loop. . I have these pre rigged so I can pull it out  and pass the fly through the eye of the perfection loop and then onto my leader where I want it (Kelly Gallop style).  Anything below a 16 is getting near impossible for me to do on the water.  So while it is a bit of a mess in my fly box it attaches easily on the water,  Normally I have a 14 or 16 weighted fly (60* jig)at point, but they pass that by for the 18 or 20s in this style.

Hope it works for you.

FishingBobNelson I googled how to make Trout Crack. It seems interesting. Could be something worth doing.

Thought you might like to see what opening day is like on a prime MO stream in one of their stocked parks. And in OK they stock the potholes since we have no natural lakes. Man I'd hate to be the guy in the middle of the dam when I had to take a leak.

polhole fishing.jpeg

Bennett Springs 2.jpg

Bennett Springs 1.jpg

17 hours ago, Trouttramp said:

I don’t see an address to mail my flys to. Did I miss it somewhere?

TT

I usually don't post it here.  I will send it to you in a PM.