Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sandan

Black powder

Any of you all been bitten by the traditional side lock black powder bug? I have and it's way fun. Both at the range, plinking (a woods walk) as well as hunting.  I've got a Traditions .50 cal percussion lock and 2 Colt repros, a .36 and a .44.  Slow to load but fun as all get out to shoot. 

Long time smokepole dragger, I have a Thompson Center Renegade 54, Cabela's rolling block 50, CVA Optima Elite, a old family air loom Damascus double barrel 10 gauge, shoots black powder loaded in brass cases. Keeping my eye's out for a flintlock 50 if I ever find one reasonable maybe a Lyman Plains Rifle or a Hawken style. Have more deer with the 54 than any of my centerfires. May end up building a kit flintlock

I've been thinking flinter for while.  As a lefty though I'd not want the lock next to my eye.  the flinter does have its allure though.

15 hours ago, Sandan said:

As a lefty

I'm a southpaw myself, that's why I thought the rolling block was a good rifle for me. I learned at a young age to shoot righty, my grandfather told me it's a right hand world learn to do what I could right hand. I am left eye dominant but still able to shoot right handed with the right eye. After the pan flash on a flint it may not matter right or left hand until the smoke clears or wear a patch over your right eye😁 you would look like a pirate🤣 but shooting glasses should help protect you. 

My grandmother wanted to tie my left hand down. I always wear glasses when I shoot. My cap lock is a lefty. The rolling block was a great idea.  I haven't given up on the flinter, I'm still thinking about it. 

My grandfather was naturally left-handed, born in 1886. Every time he picked up a pencil with his left hand, the teacher would smack his knuckles with a ruler. He developed into a rather fancy scroll-like signature. I can do most anything from either side. My son is LH and it was a chore to find LH bows. He finally found a LH Remington 700.

Felt sorry for the LH guys in basic training, shooting the M-16.

I do lots of tasks ambidextrous but prefer to write and tie lefty, but the older I get the more I do lefty. Probably being left eye dominant with degrading eyesight. Until the brass deflector for the m16 you would get hot brass in the utility shirt, burns on the neck. 

I'm naturally left-handed but only eat and write LH. Everything else is with both sides. Uncle Sam didn't issue brass deflectors.

I have a CVA .45 cal that a friend made.  I am left eye dominant and shoot mostly left handed with a rifle, right with a bow.  Do surgery and tie right handed.  I am almost ambidextrous.   Cannot write very legibly with either hand.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:59 AM, DarrellP said:

Cannot write very legibly with either hand

Of course not, you are a doctor😄. No one can ever read what a doctor writes. It doesn't matter it must apply to both 2 legged and 4 legged doc's!

12 hours ago, cphubert said:

Of course not, you are a doctor😄. No one can ever read what a doctor writes. It doesn't matter it must apply to both 2 legged and 4 legged doc's!

That is true. Being able to do surgery or tie flies doesn't cross over.