Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dpenrod

Nymph pattern in Fly Tyer

Looking for help identifying  a nymph pattern featured in Fly Tyer a few years ago.  I have misplaced the issue and am wanting the recipe for the fly.  Unfortunately here is the conundrum, I can't remember the date of the issue or the name of the nymph  and Google has not been my friend.  I believe a photo of it was on the either the cover or the back,  The fly was constructed with bead chain eyes, rubber legs, tan colored dubbing maybe hare's ear and then a wing case if you will of turkey tail that extended the entire length of the body.  The tail was tied in in stages, all the way up the shank of the hook.  You'd dub a bit, pull the tail over the dubbed part and tie off and then pull back, dub a bit more, more turkey tail over the top....etc. etc.   Created a kind of a ridged back on the fly.  If this sounds familiar to anyone or you recall what issue the fly was in I'd sure appreciate any info.  And yes I have reached out to Fly Tyer with no luck thus far  Thx.  Darin

The turkey tail was tied in like that in stages but all the way up the shank not just at the thorax and it had a set of rubber legs like a hopper.  I can recreate a close approximation but want to see if I can locate the actual recipe.