Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FliesbyNight

Just wanted to say thanks...

Hello All,

I have lurked this board for as long as I have been a member of this forum.  I don't tie salmon flies myself but I greatly admire the skill and dedication these beauties require. I also enjoy reading the descriptions with the sometimes odd (to me) materials and the substitutes for items no longer available or legal.

I enjoy tying and take some pride in my flies. I get mostly respectable results but I tie to fish, first and foremost, and my flies reflect that.  They imitate the local baitfish or attractors that work and that makes me all the more impressed with these efforts.  This is tying for the love of tying.

Thanks for all the beautiful fly posts and keeping these skills alive.  You are truly artists.

FliesbyNight - Thanks for this post. You are spot on when you mention keeping these skills alive!! The late John Veniard once said tying flies of any sort is a craft...not art. He believed anyone could be taught to tie any kind of fly, just that some people will do it better than others. My thoughts...just enjoy the tying and then catching fish on your own flies, good, bad or indifferent.