Fly Tying
flytire

March Flies From the Vise

Another of Jo's flies.

Hot Mustard - Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum (1963).  One of the earlier fly patterns using poly yarn as polypropylene was invented in 1954.  This is the pattern that I added to create a Stone Condiment series of ties.  IWe all stand on the shoulders of giants!  This pattern simulates the Little Yellow Stone and can be tied on a larger size (8-10) hook for a Big Golden Stone imitation.

380416009_HotMustard.thumb.jpg.8b8a0ecafb1d3b7c9f15a59b1123c0b2.jpg

Hook - Mustad 94840, 10-14 (or size 8-10 for a Big Golden Stone imitation)

Thread - black

Body/Tail - golden poly yarn, wrapped with open spiral thread wraps to the front and folded back over itself

Hackle - grizzly dry fly, wrapped as an open spiral covering the thread wraps and used to tie down the folded back poly

Captain-Hooker-1080.jpg

Captain Hooker

Midge Fly Pattern

Hook - Daiichi 1273, size 20

Thread - Black

Body - Opal mirage tinsel

Thorax - Sybai black spectra dubbing

South Platte Fly Shop

8 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Mark - I love your creativity on this one. If the pike don't love it as well, I suspect it will scare the hell out of them. 😂
            Cool vise too!! - George

Actually, I don't think pike are scared of anything.

You're probably right. That becomes obvious when they smile at you and show their mouth full of teeth 😁

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Actually, I don't think pike are scared of anything.

Only of a larger pike

Large-Suspended-Stone1080.jpg

Large Suspended Stone

Giancarlo Donninelli Originator

Hook - Mustad C49S or equivalent

Thread - Uni wood duck

Tail - Tan pheasant tail fibers

Body - Tan pheasant tail fibers

Wing cases - Tan 2mm foam

Thorax - SLF dubbing

17 minutes ago, flytire said:

youll have to argue with giancarlo. here is his you tube channel. go make a comment there and correct him

(355) Giancarlo Donninelli - YouTube

he named it not me

at some point in time that one stupid stonefly suddenly loses his tiny little grip of whatever he's holding on to and don't ya just know he's suddenly floating down stream 😀

giphy-downsized.gif

What I think is, he's clinging to Squatch and as Squatch is crossing the stream to fish the pool from another angle the stone nymph falls off. He should'a hung on better.

Matt’s Caribou Caddis

51916326556_736dec8eb4_c.jpg

51916326471_4ab0aab540_c.jpg

51916944690_b5948e20f5_c.jpg

Here’s his video if you’re interested. Only thing I did differently was tie the underwing in along the sides; acts as outriggers and helps a little bit with floatation.

hook - WFC Model 3 #14
thread - Uni 8/0 camel 
butt - yarn chartreuse 
body - dubbing Australian possum 
underwing - Congo Hair Shiner Tan
wing - caribou 
head/collar - hare’s ear (touch dubbed)

Regards,
Scott

47 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Stoneflies do not suspend at the surface and emerge like mayflies.

Your are correct, as usual, but I have caught plenty of dumb brookies just as my stonefly pattern hits the surface at the top of a run.  Go figure.    

55 minutes ago, niveker said:

Your are correct, as usual, but I have caught plenty of dumb brookies just as my stonefly pattern hits the surface at the top of a run.  Go figure.    

I don't doubt it. 

Female stoneflies do lay their eggs on the water. So adult stoneflies are eaten by trout while both egg laying and when spent and dead on the water.

Stonefly nymphs are also eaten but emerging stoneflies are not because they are on land.

I also don't doubt that the "Suspended Stonefly Pattern" above will catch trout. Trout sample the drift and even hit strike indicators as a possible food item. The Royal Wulff is a great dry fly pattern and there is no "Royal Wulff Hatch."

In smaller sizes the "Suspended Stonefly Pattern" could actually be taken as a stage 1 mayfly emerger pattern called a floating nymph.

I wrote about the stages of emergence on an earlier thread:

Here is a March Brown floating nymph pattern for eample.

1857398811_ScreenShot2022-03-03at5_06_15PM.thumb.png.b9c24a17e47acf5536311b5d88dd6292.png

https://www.coflyfishers.org/resources/Documents/Fly Patterns/Emergers/Floating Nymph (March Brown).pdf

Here is the life cycle of a stonefly.

For those of you that are interested in the stages of emergence, I wrote about it on this earlier thread.