Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
amateurforever

Vise advice

Hi

I see this part is for very beginners, so I ask my question here. I've decided to start fly tying, but then I'm stock in the very first step! What vice to buy? The point is that I do not want to buy something very cheap, so that I will need to replace it in a while.

I do not know if a fixed head vise will suffice? Or soon I'll start with rotary techniques? If I will, then I will need an in-line rotary one, or a head angle adjustable one (like Anvil Apex) will be fine?

I have come out to these choices:

Peak non-rotary

Anvil Apex

Anvil Atlas

Peak rotary

Danvise is not a choice, since I have read some negative comments about it.

I usually fish for chub, carp and brown trout. But intend to start with pike as well.

Thanks in advanced

Mohsen

Both the Peak and Anvil are good values. If you can spend the money, there is NO REASON NOT TO BUY A ROTARY. You don't have to ever use "rotary" tying techniques, but you will have that capability with the rotary vise. More importantly, you can just spin your fly to look at all sides to make sure it is how you want it. Eventually, and probably quite soon, you will find yourself using small rotary techniques, like for wrapping hackle, chenille bodies, etc. With a fixed-head vise, you just plain can't do it, and you might want to.

If it's a question of saving a few $$, then you can get by just fine with a fixed angle vise.

I'm a big fan of Peak rotary. I've been tying on one as my primary vise for about 5 years and it is bombproof.

there are a LOT of discussions on this forum about vise preferences. Do some searching. You will find that just about every brand of vise has it's huge fans, and just as many people who will tell you it's not as good as something else.

I bought a peak and have enjoyed tying on it. My only complaint is that it can develope rust on the jaws in a humid environment. I add a light coating of gun oil every so often to keep the rust from appearing. Other than that the vise is well built and very fun to tie on.

Check out the vise reviews at www.flyfishohio.com Most of the ones you are looking at are covered. You get used to what you buy and use on a regular basis. What you are looking at will serve you well.

I would recommend the Peak Rotary vise.Myself I use Renzetti, Peak was not around 45 years ago I don't think. This is one heck of a hobby. I am still learning new stuff remember, this hobby is habit forming!!. Welcome o fly tying. :D :D

Don't be so fast about the DanVise.. The bad reports are mostly by people that tighten them too tight. I LOVE mine.... and the price kicks butt. It takes very LITTLE cam pressure to hold the hooks. For a beginner it provides you with the features you need without investing more money until prove you really want to stick with it. But, I'm sticking with my DanVise.

Thank you everybody for the comments. It's so encouraging seeing experienced people taking care of amateurs. :rolleyes:

I read the reviews and comments and came up to choose between Anvil Apex and Peak and now have 2 questions now:

1. Is it a big deal the difference between an in-line rotary and a rotary vice (like Anvil Apex)? I mean some people believe that the in-line one leaves little room behind the jaws. On the other hand I saw a video, somebody was using an HMH vise, which was not in-line rotary, very well.

2. What fly sizes are normally used for saltwater and Pike (which I think I will start with them in the future)? . The Apex holding range is #3-22 and the Peak range is #2-22. I do not know if I will go behind the range of Apex, but if yes, then the Peak has the option of different jaws.

Thanks

Mohsen

Actually, that's why I do not like to go with DanVise, because I'm some kind of harsh guy with big and strong hands, that would destroy everything easily. :D

Thanks

Mohsen

quote name='poksal' timestamp='1315972531' post='478314']

Don't be so fast about the DanVise.. The bad reports are mostly by people that tighten them too tight. I LOVE mine.... and the price kicks butt. It takes very LITTLE cam pressure to hold the hooks. For a beginner it provides you with the features you need without investing more money until prove you really want to stick with it. But, I'm sticking with my DanVise.

Thank you for your warm welcome. :)

Just like you said, that's the reason I need to start with a nice, long life vise! I know this way has no returns, so should get prepared very well...

Best

I would recommend the Peak Rotary vise.Myself I use Renzetti, Peak was not around 45 years ago I don't think. This is one heck of a hobby. I am still learning new stuff remember, this hobby is habit forming!!. Welcome o fly tying. :D :D

Rust? I though the jaws are made from stainless steel!!! :(

I bought a peak and have enjoyed tying on it. My only complaint is that it can develope rust on the jaws in a humid environment. I add a light coating of gun oil every so often to keep the rust from appearing. Other than that the vise is well built and very fun to tie on.

Not all grades of stainless are rustless and most will corrode to some degree depending on what it is exposed too. Some stainless is also quite soft.

By the way, I wrote to the company asking about this preoblem, and here's the reply:

Our jaws are hardened tool steel so it is possible for them to rust, especially in a high humidity environment. However, a light coating of oil such as WD-40 wiped on with a rag when the vise is not in use will keep this from happening.

Thank you,

Al Ritt

the solution is just the way you said. and I like the way they answered, very clear.

Not all grades of stainless are rustless and most will corrode to some degree depending on what it is exposed too. Some stainless is also quite soft.

I agree, I bought my Danvise in Jan. and I love it, no problems yet. The vise and the extention arm were about $100 total from jstockard.

I agree, I bought my Danvise in Jan. and I love it, no problems yet. The vise and the extention arm were about $100 total from jstockard.

I've had my Danvise for about 10 years with no problem. But it wouldn't be that great for tying Pike long flies without that extension arm.