Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kausboy

Late Summer Mayfly

Jason T (catchandrelease) is really the guy to ask about this hatch, but AFAIK the nymph isn't all that important. They simply aren't available prior to the emergence. Spinners and duns are on the water simultaneously and there is a tremendous similarity in the two. Add to this the fact that most WW fish aren't extremely selective (assuming you're fishing warm water) and the total number of patterns needed is pretty modest.

My own selection includes White Wulff dries in sizes 10 and 12, a quill bodied parachute in all white/cream in sizes 12 and 14, a white Kinkhamer style emerger with a tan Antron tail in size 10 to 14, and an all white "BiVisible" (CompletelyVisible?) in size 10 on a 2xl hook that I'll skate to capture the attention of piggish smallmouth bass.

Now all I need to do is find my way to the Susquehana during the first weekend in August and life will be sweet...

Your mileage may vary.

Joe C.

I use a white foam bodied dun or spinner. Using fur dubbing dosent seem to stay white. I also tie the tails in half a shank longer. Hope this helps. White wulffs in 10 and 12 work fine.

i guess i'll third the white wulffs. on the streams i usually fish while this hatch is going on, its usually a 12-14 and sometimes i'll even downsize to a 16.

a size 14 or so irresistible in white would prolly work real well too, and be somewhat more durable.

during this hatch on the streams that I fish, there is also what looks to me as some sort of white caddis... the fish really seem to key on darn near anything white near the peak.