Fly Tying
Monty

Beach Flyfishing

Hi..

I`m going to try beach flyfishing for pinks in the next few weeks..

Any suggestions to what type of line ? Float..sinking ? How about

Fly patterns? Thanks for any help you can give.

Monty help.gif

QUOTE (Monty @ Jul 15 2005, 11:19 PM)
    I`m going to try beach flyfishing for pinks in the next few weeks..
    Any suggestions to what type of line ?

Look around and see what people are using for Striped Bass, Bluefish, and Albacore. I haven't seen much on techniques for the "left coast" but the east coast, wade fishing on the beaches is a well-established tradition.

This is the only article I've ever read about surf flyfishing on the West Coast:

http://flyfisherman.com/northwest/khsandybeach/

HTH

Hi Monty...

I have a lot of beach experience but none of it in the Pacific.

Still I imagine a few general principals still apply.

Rule one is you have to get the fly to the fish, which often means long casts and sinking lines. Even if the fish are working on top you are generally better off with at least an intermediate line since it sinks a bit and wont be as affected by wind and surf as a floater.

The fish will generally be on seams. Current/no current Current/Different direction Current Cold water/Warm water If you see a difference in a pattern cast there.

Fly patterns are easy - anything that looks like a baitfish in the general size and color of the baitfish in your area to find fish - once they are found match the hatch (its usually some kind of bait fish but shrimp, crabs, squid may be necessary) all in all its hard to go wrong with a white deceiver.

If you are wading get a stripping basket. Its no fun to have a few loops of fkly line wrapped around your ankles when you are standing in the surf.

Hope that helps some