Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LigonierA1

very thin rubber legs?

I'm looking for a materal to make rubber legs on small terrestrial patterns. I have some Sili Legs, and the conventional rubber legs, they look pretty thick and huge on a #18 beetle. It seems to me that I recall there being a very fine material, perhhaps not even truly rubber, that would be useful. Anyone know what product I may be looking for? IIRC, this stuff almost thread like in it's diameter and very limp. The current alone would make those legs wiggle and that's my intent.

Span Flex comes to mind. Might that be what I'm after?

you can buy mini and micro round rubber legs from anyone that carries spirit river products.

john

Check out Montana Fly Co.

I think they sell a product called "Centipede Legs." I was checking some out at local fly shop.

TCO Outfitters. They are online if you want to check them out.

www.TCOFlyfishing.com

Hope this helps,

Chip

I'd actually recommend the spanflex here. Its sold under several different names (flexi floss, and superfloss come to mind) Spanflex is just the name given by the manufacturer. Think of it as the 2nd generation rubber leg. It is available in the finer diameters you are looking for, is supple and has a natural kink to it- its not perfectly straight like rubber legs. It is much, much durable than regular rubber legs, with a nice sheen to it.

I'm giving this one a thumb's up here thumbsup.gif

Keep it Deep,

Whippersnapper