Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HDS

orvis rods

as a carp fisherman I always wonder why no manufactuor lists carp rods as a target species for there rod. This is stictly american. Take orvis for example they list bonefish and redfish, I mean sea carp and sheepshead?!?!?! I do not get it. Anybody have any insight on this?

HDS

I think rod manufactures just look for new ways to sell rods by labeling them game fish specific. They make it sound like you can't land a fish on any other rod but the one they designed specifically for that species. bs.gif

I have caught Carp on a 3 wt and 8wt. 3wt was a lot more fun, but I landed the fish. Rods do have specific purposes but not for a specific fish.

Carp are the red headed step child to the angling community.

Only a few have step over from the dark force and realized how much fun they are.

Carp headbang.gif

I admit, that at first I did not give carp any attention when I was out fishing. The first time I landed one on a fly rod, I couldn't believe the power as I watched a nice 15lb fish take me to the backing. I keeped running into them on my favorite rivers and caught more of them. Now I am committed to finding more info on them and going out next spring and spending days hunting them down. Can't wait.

I've read that carp are the number one game fish in England. They use light rods and lines on them. I've caught a few over the years on light tackle while fishing for crappie. They'l give you a hell of a fight.

Dave