Fly Tying
bluegill girl

What are your favorite bluegill flys?

I can't beat the information you've received already. However, this might help too. Down here in Alabama there is a lot of trash, branches, trees, whatever. You know, stuff to lose a fly on. I tie my subsurface Bluegill flies so they ride hook up to make them more weedless. Instead of wrapping lead around the hook, I tie two straight pieces on top of the hook. the lead & the hook shank make a triangle. I think every little bit helps. Go catch more and bigger fish than your dad. Ralph

I know it's heresy, but I've always done a fantastic job with a simple flashback nymph, like a pheasant tail. I have a #4 clear sinktip that for some reason when I fish it and a nymph on a 3-4 foot leader, I can catch anything, from bluegills to big, fat rainbows. In deeper water, I make it a beadhead to get down a little bit lower, faster.

But then again, I tube a lot. That helps.

I also have a olive/brown and black variegated wooly bugger that I like to think looks like a baby smallmouth. That thing picks me up quite a few panfish when I can get out of the nymph habit.

IPB Image

"Montana Stone Extreme" Josh Sipes

here are two of my favorite bluegill patterns.....I'll detail them if youd like.....

IPB Image

"Chic-o-Stic" Josh Sipes

this is more effective with a gold bead, or red thread for a head, but this is the only pic I have

I love poppers like the Sneaky Pete, etc when they are in the mood to come up top (most of the time!). I am real partial to any foam flies, like beetles with a peacock herl abdomen, grasshoppers or cricket imitations, and I found a pattern very similar to teioneon's foam creation on another site that works very well, so I'm sure his is a killer. I would have to say overall that my number one is foam because they are very fast to tie and the Pans really tear them up (that's OK!) Pans are so co-operative and strong fighters, expecially on my 3 wgt, and I haven't found a lot that they won't take! :D