Fly Tying
down2earthlv

sum teeny basses on sum hot flys!

A few pics of thanksgiving weekend at Sand Hollow reservoir in SW Utah near St George....Healthy fighters!

Don't mind the goofy faces, can't blame me for having fun catching fishes!

post-3723-1133152655_thumb.jpg

post-3723-1133153086_thumb.jpg

That's more bass than I caught this past year! I haven't really had the chance to bass hunt with all the moving and work and....well you get the idea. Looks like fun and I'm jealous! That's the one thing bad about living here. Sure there are plenty of specks and reds around but you need a boat to get to the good bass grounds. And no, a float tube is waaaaay out, there are gators in the creeks and ponds! I miss the smell of bass on my fingers.

I don't know where you live exactly in Florida, but I have two words for you as far as bank fishing in Florida for bass goes: retention ponds.

The state of Florida stocks retention ponds in most areas to promote fishing in urban areas. I know because I used to live in Florida. You can catch some MONSTER fish in some unlikely looking places if you try.

My rule of thumb was if there was water, make a few casts and circle the pond. More times than not, I was pleasantly rewarded.

Good luck,

Terry

NICE!!! ;)

Glad to see someone still getting a few and even gladder to see someone posting in this area. Those Full Dress Salmon Fly guys seem to be the only ones posting anything anymore.

Never thought of Utah for Bass. The Osmonds maybe, but not Bass. :hyst:

Atta boy!

Fishydude

Utah has a few unbelieveable bass fisherys...most are tough on a fly rod, including Sand Hollow...I think I was just in the right place at the right time with the right 'bait'....but now that I think about it, I guess thats what fishing is all about isn't it? I wish I could show you the looks on the fishermen in their 30000 dollar boats when they seen me in a kayak with a fly rod!

I don't know where you live exactly in Florida, but I have two words for you as far as bank fishing in Florida for bass goes: retention ponds.

The state of Florida stocks retention ponds in most areas to promote fishing in urban areas. I know because I used to live in Florida. You can catch some MONSTER fish in some unlikely looking places if you try.

My rule of thumb was if there was water, make a few casts and circle the pond. More times than not, I was pleasantly rewarded.

Good luck,

Terry

You're probably talking about South Florida, up into Central Florida. He's up in the panhandle, near the Florida/Alabama line. I have no clue about the bass fishing up that way, but down in south florida, it's a fishing PARADISE. Saltwater species up the wazoo. Peacock Bass, MONSTER Largemouth, and baby (30-40 pound) Tarpon EVERYWHERE in the canals and ponds. Oscars, Tilapia, and monster bluegills EVERYWHERE too.

No, did most of my Florida fishing in Jacksonville, which is very much North Florida, and some in Orlando/Kissimmee, which is Central Florida. Seems like it was a state-wide program, but I could be wrong.

But hey, what's the worst thing that could happen? You pull over, start fishing, and someone laughs at the guy fishing where there supposedly "ain't no fish". Half the time, I prove them right anyway, but boy that other half sure is sweet :D !

Merry Christmas!!

TL