Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

What makes a good streamer rod?

Generally speaking, of course. I'm toying around with getting a rod for chucking streamers. 20-60' range. Preferably something that is powerful and is adept at casting in some wind and is able to handle sink tips and full sinking lines. Again, it has to be best in the 20-60' range. Forgiving, too.

Medium action? Fast action? Something in-between?

Secondly, $200 is my breaking point. I'm kinda interested in the TFO series, either the Jim Teeny rods or the TiCr. They seem to be good.

Don't bother with the "it's the caster, not the rod". Some rods make some jobs a lot easier than other rods. In golf, your grandpa's old wooden driver will not shoot as straight or as far or as consistent as the new technology clubs nowadays (if the same person drives them).

The more I research, the more I'm thinking that a fast action rod (not quite saltwater-built-for-80'-casts-and-can't-cast-anything-shorter fast, but still fast) is better for what I'm looking for. Kinda high line speed so I can shoot line like a cannon, even in windy conditions; not to mention they'll probably be more adept at handling sink-tips and full sinking lines.

I'd LOVE to try out a Scott S3, or the Sage equivalent (not that I can afford either one), but at $200 that TFO TiCr looks REALLY appealing to this poor college kid. I've heard nothing but great things about those rods and I doubt Lefty Kreh would put his name on a crappy rod. I'd rather get something that does what I need at a price I can afford than get an American-made rod that either won't do what I want it to or is WAAAAAAAAAAY out of my price range.

You might also want to look at line type. I know Scientific Anglers makes a streamer express taper, might be something worth looking into. I second TFO rods, I have two myself, cheap and affordable, especialy for me, a high school senior. Although if you can find a good deal on ebay I'd look into the mid priced sages, I cast a few at a show recently and I liked them as much as the TFOs, if not better. Hope this helps atleast a little.

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles

I re-read the title of this post. I think casting streamers requires more casting than any other type of fly fishing.Here is what I think makes a good streamer rod. A fast action rod with a fairly sensitive tip but one that won't bounce around. A full wells grip and a fighting butt. I find a fighting butt adds backbone to the rod, and also adds some more weight at the rear of the rod. This is good because after a few hours of streamer fishing keeping the rod tip up can become a chore. The butt helps. If your rod tip is to flimsy it will be bouncing around and not only will strikes be missed it will mean that you will have to grip your rod allot tighter with the hand you hold the rod with. Which brings me to the full wells grip. I find that after a while a half wells grip my hand seems to work its way toward the front of the grip. I also find it too narrow, and uncomfortable. This means I have less control over the rod.

I work with a home made clam hack and have used many types of handles over the years and have had hand cramps and even fingers lock on me. The best handle I have found is one that fits in my hand in its natural curve. So I dont have to squeeze so tightly. If I had my way the cork grips would be wider around, so your hand is holding the rod but in a more relaxed position. Another thing to look for, is a rod that will absorb shock. When you are retrieving a streamer with a tight line and a 20 inch brown charges your fly and decides to turn back arround you want the rod to take it and not your arm socket. The TiCr is all this. What Lefty Kreh says about the TiCr is" its a nice rod but what if we could..." The TiCr was born. There are many types of rods but I am sold on these puppys.

Don't buy a TFO until you cast the ECHO rod...I just bought one today and am going to write a review, it kicks ass.

Oh yeah and its cheaper...

I'd want to cast it before I buy it and none of the local shops carry Echo rods, unfortunately. They look promising though.

I would lean to the TFO also

I got a ticr x comeing my way 6wt with the fightingbutt

I have only heard good thing about these rods

my local shop loves them to

FCflyguy

Having owned several streamer rods, I'll agree that the TFO will do the job at a reasonable price. A buddy of mine bought one while on a trip to Arkansas. Somehow his broke on the way down and using the warranty not an option. I was very impressed with the power and accuracy.

Get the stiffest rod you can afford. ;) I ended up with the salt-water version of the GLX in a 6wt, but I'm toying with the idea of getting a full sinker for my Orvis TLS 9.5 tipflex (8wt). That should work quite well chucking the larger offerings. I believe they're a little more expensive than the $200 limit you placed ($325???), but their 25 year warranty will pay for itself in the long run. Keep an eye on ebay!

I like my Orvis TLS Tip flex 9.5 alot too, I have a 4 weight. Picked mine up off ebay for 202.50 + 10 dollars or so for shipping a couple months ago, so good deals are out there =P. I also have a tfo, but can't really relate the two because there two different line weights and cast a bit different. Both are good rods. I also recently picked up an elkhorn fly rod 10 weight at the fly fishing show. Let me tell you, for the price, this thing is a cannon. Check em out www.elkhornflyrods.com

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles