Fly Tying
broadcj

Cheap Stuff

I just wander up a down the yarn aisles repeating. "I tie flies - I tie flies."

The little blue-haired ladies still look at me funny - but I feel better about the whole thing. :hyst:

:thumbup:I normal go to the craft store with my wife in tow. It doesn't look so bad. She also knows what I'm looking for so she goes without me sometimes. Nice to be married every now and then. It's not just Ace. You can find good stuff at any hardware store. :D

Got a baby shower gift this weekend wrapped in a whole sheet of pearlescent mylar. My wife tried to throw it away twice, but it magically just kept comming back, waiting to be cut into any width strip I need. I haven't ever seen it in the stores before, but never really looked either, so it must be there.

The mylar gift wrap will be in the gift wrap aisle at the craft or party store. I use this stuff all the time for certain fishscale type balsa poppers as well as the metallic gift wraps...and a little lasts a very long time. I'm always looking at shiny stuff and other materials thinking "Can I use tyhis stuff to tie flies?"...and I often can...

S'getti lace (round clear & colored plastic), lanyard material, rattail ribbon (frayed apart is similar to organza), etc. I sorta have to do this since the nearest fly shop is either 120+ miles east of me in Baton Rouge or 120+ miles west of me in Houston.

Mark Delaney