Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stony

Panfish Swap

Mine are in the mail.

I don't know what to call them though. Beadhead Peacock Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph sounds good. :)

To all, first I would like to say thanks to all who send me extras, they are not necessry, but greatly appreciated, after this swap I would like all of you guys to keep your eyes peeled for the next swap that Im gonna host, it will be kinda neat ;) Second thanks to all for such a quick turn around on this one, you are a great bunch of guys to swap with, and hope to participate in many more with ya!!!

Dustin.

I recieved Stony's flies today, and they look like they will slay some gills, would you fellas like for me to post picts now or after you recieve them back? Gonna go cath some gills on my share of Stony's flies and show what they are capable of, and will post picts of the fish as well, I will do this with each one of your flies.

Oh yeah, they will catch some gills alright.

These ones right here were caught at one of our local reservoirs on a nymph very similar to that. These are just guys from my fishing club.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This place is catch and release only and has tons of bass and mega bull gills in there.

Wow those gills are hogs, very nice indeed, but what was that I seen in the first pict? was it a spinning rod :sick: :hyst: well I guess we will let it slide this once.

post-4351-1153966752_thumb.jpgpost-4351-1153966663_thumb.jpgpost-4351-1153966547_thumb.jpgWell fellas here is just a couple of fish that I got on Stony's flies that he sent in, would have taken more picts, but 43 picts of some gills would get old, and all were caught on his fly, Nice tie Stony

Oh yea I had to throw the bass in there cause its the smallest largemouth I have ever caught!!

Wow those gills are hogs, very nice indeed, but what was that I seen in the first pict? was it a spinning rod :sick: :hyst: well I guess we will let it slide this once.

We do alot of that here. Especially on windy days. Fly and a bobber works miracles at this lake. Retrieve slowly and whammo. 9"+ gills all day long.

post-4351-1153966752_thumb.jpgpost-4351-1153966663_thumb.jpgpost-4351-1153966547_thumb.jpgWell fellas here is just a couple of fish that I got on Stony's flies that he sent in, would have taken more picts, but 43 picts of some gills would get old, and all were caught on his fly, Nice tie Stony

Oh yea I had to throw the bass in there cause its the smallest largemouth I have ever caught!!

Too cool fly time. I'm glad they worked for ya. How did the peacock herl hold up? I know the herl is delicate but just can't figure how to make it stronger but get the same color flash out of it.

Stony the flies held up great, the red one is still intact, but the regular one the thread came loose on the head, the peacoch held up great, I plan on fixing the head of the one that came loose, just a little thread and a couple of whipfinishes and she is good as new :yahoo:

Chris yea the largemouth was a lunker, put up a killer fight :hyst: when I was reelin him in a big gill tried to get him, but he did live to be caught another day, mabey tomarrow :lol: :hyst:

Stony the flies held up great, the red one is still intact, but the regular one the thread came loose on the head, the peacoch held up great, I plan on fixing the head of the one that came loose, just a little thread and a couple of whipfinishes and she is good as new :yahoo:

well that kind of ticks me off. :angry: i dont use a whip finisher but i do 3 half hitches. should i do more to make the thread hold better? i also put a drop of head cement on them also. i was under the impression not to use more than a drop. should i use more also?

Stony, half hitches are not that great as a finish knot, and yes you can actually saturate the head of the fly with the head cement, and if it gets in the eye of the hook just run a needle or your bodkin through it, I would suggest using the whip finish knot for the finish knot, as well 3 to 5 drops of cement should be suffecient. Naturally any fly that you fish hard, or catch alot of fish on will eventually show some ware and tare, I caught 33 on it before the thread came loose, so that is actually very good!! ;)

Is there a video on here about how to use the matarelli finisher? I have one but I just haven't used it yet. I don't have another training session with Bob for another two weeks.