Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Classic Dressing Substitutes

I have decided to use this bit of info form "Flytying Tips and Reference Guide", by Mr. Dick Stewart. I'm sure that the novices may find this interesting, and the old pros will find it helpful. If there are any of you Traditionalists out there, please share a few tips of your own!

Silkworm Gut Substitute

" Tyers who enjoy dressing the classics, complete with gut eyes or snells have had a difficult time of late as the supply of silkworm gut has all but vanished. Here is a more than adequate subistitute, using monofilament and a hair dryer. Cut 3 or 4 strands of 4 to 6 pound test mono, knot the strands together at one end, carefully even the strands, and knot the other end. Clamp on knot in your vise and with a dubbing twister or shepard's crook, twist the strands on mono tight. With the drier set on 'high', slowly run it along the mono strands. Continue to apply heat until the twists stay when you let go of the twister. Repeat this step three times, or until the mono remains twisted when you release your grip. The result is suprisingly like silkworm gut and adda period 'look' to your classic dressings."

Hopefully Mr. Fix can add additional info of classic patterns....tight lines!

Big Daddy

info borrowed from "Flyting Tips and Reference Guide", Dick Stewart, 1993-1999, Mountain Pond Publishing, North Conway, NH.....illustrations by Larry Largay and Joan Rademacher.

BDH, I've tried that and it'll work, but there is another method that works better.

First let me say that twisted mono does not look anything like silk gut without first dulling the finish. The best way to accomplish this is to put a length of mono into a container that you don't mind ruining. Then squirt a puddle of super glue onto the bottom of the container. Let it sit overnight and the mono will be etched with a dull finish.

Next, twist three strands of mono together as BDH described, but instead of a hair dryer, immerse the strands in boiling water for 30 seconds. Then take them out and immediately dunk into icewater.

great follow up, TB.....with my very limited knowledge of "how to" the classic patterns, i was hoping to generate a discussion with this Tip topic....thought you may be of some use afterall wink.gif ....thanks for the great follow up!! thumbsup.gif

no cam here, Mark...TB...can you help Mark out with this..it would be greatly appreciated

Silk worm gut is used to make the eye on a blind eye hook. Blind eye hooks were the way hooks were before modern manufacturing processes were introduced. Here is an example of a fly with a silk worm gut eye.

user posted image

You do have the talent Chris, you just have to decide that you want to challenge yourself.

you have a point....been considering tying a few this summer....just so I can say, "Hey, I can tie that!" May have to send you one when I perfect it! By the way, sorry to hear the bad news...heard it got down to 50 in Florida!! mad.gif

Yeah, we were going to start breaking up the furniture for firewood, but then it got up to 87 degrees today. cool.gif

there are no words to aptly describe my great disliking of you at this very moment..... mad.gif

Sign in to follow this