Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly_fisher2000

Looking for info

Looking for some info on fly fishing in SW PA near Greensburg PA.

My dad just moved out there and I want to join him for some flyfishing this spring.

I live and fish year rouund here he CO and love every minute of it.

My dad would like to fish small creeks with maybe some native trout, or midsize creeks with agressive browns.

I'd like to tie him some bugs so If you've got a favortie patter please share.

post-7-1075866707.jpg

Welcome to the forum Fly Fisher.

I'm located in S.W. Pa. and am a fly Fisherman myself.

There are some pretty good streams near Greensburg. Loyalhanna Creek, Fourmile Run, Mill Creek, and Laurel Hill Creek are all stocked trout streams. The Youghiogheny River, about an hours drive from Greensburg, is really prime trout water. Most of the really good water is only accessible by bycycle. I can ask around about wild trout streams but I don't know of any in that area.

Some patterns that work well in this area are: Wooly Buggers (Black, Olive, and Olive/Black seem to work best for me), Hares Ear ( plain and bead head), Pheasant Tail Nymph, Prince Nymph, Glo Bug (Green, Orange, Cream, Hot Pink), Caddis Emerger patterns (Tan and Olive), Green Weenie, Adams #14 & #16, Blue Winged Olive #14, Tan Caddis #16, Grannom caddis #14, Light Cahill #14, and March Brown #12. This list will cover a large percentage of all the hatches in this area.

A good book on the market is "Flyfisher's Guide to Pennsylvania" by Dave Wolf. It is a very comprehensive book about the streams in PA and tells you where the access areas are. Good luck.

Not to many wild trout streams in Western PA.

But there is some good trout fishing. Being your from out West, the Yough river would be a good choice, but its big water.

You could rent a raft and drift fish out of it. Also Dunbar Creek is a stocked stream with a small wild Brook trout population.

IMO the best Brown trout water in the state, head east to Centre County and fish Spring creek.

Its been C&R for years and there are wild Browns in the 20 + inch class.

Spring creek has a great Sulphur hatch too ! You will have more options east than you will in SW pa.

A link to stocked creeks in Westmoreland county

http://sites.state.pa.us/Fish/

Also check this map out. This is from the PA Fish Comm.

They do show approved wild trout waters in Western PA.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat...ps/swregion.htm