Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremi

Do spring creek trout eat sandwiches?

Does anyone use club sandwiches for trout on spring creeks? Or do they splat on the water a little to much? Also if anyone does what are you favorite colors. Top/ middle/ bottom, and legs. Also what region of the country do you use these colors.

Jeremi

trout will readily take hoppers from the spring to late autumn....tie in sizes according to the lifecycle of the naturals. In the spring, go small in 14's or 12's and gradually increase the size of the pattern as the season progresses. Late summer and early fall will certainly be your best action with a hopper, but they can be effective the entire season if this simple idea is followed. By late fall, I tie them in 4's and even 2's...especially if there are smallies or other big predators in the flow. As far as colors...follow natural markings of the real thing in the areas you plan to fish, but experiment a little. I have found that tan stacked on yellow has been very effective for trout and smallies the last couple of years. Green stakced on yellow or orange is good, and brown staked on yellow is a close third. Tie it in black and gray or all black for a great tri-level cricket, too! Bullet head (Thunder Creek style) hopper patterns work great, too!

I fish these patterns with great gusto in Ky and Va waters...I have a few Western buds who hit the creeks in MT and ID with the same patterns and do quiet well. The pattern seems to be more effective in midsummer to fall in the western climes.

Now, as far as fishing spring creeks with these patterns.....it has been my experience with the minimal spring creek fishing that I have done, that terrestrials seem to make up a substantial portion of the trouts diet....it may take a little patience, but you should manage fish with these patterns, even on a spring creek...hopefully, someone with a little more experience on spring creeks can steer you in the right direction as far as terrestrial patterns.....

Tight Lines!

Thanks Daddy,

Im just not sure if the trout will like the big splat of the foam. Yes grasshoppers splat on the water. But Im not sure if they hit as hard as the foam ones do. Im not sure if i should tye some light weight hoppers also.

Hey Jeremi, trust me man trout love a splat in the water when grasshoppers are present. From a trouts point of view, when they hear a plop they instantly think of an easy meal. In some cases I've noticed that a large plop on the water will get the most wary trout out from under their holes. Although in some cases a light weight hopper can be very effective when the trout are in shallow riffles. I spend a lot of my time a rough water though so the foam comes in real handy. I guess it's just a matter of the water you are fishing, but If I were you I would give a chernoble ant or Henry's Fork hopper a try.