Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Emergers

After analizing Tim's Grey drake emerger, I started playing around with different furs and materials for Light Hendricksons and all purpose.

The lighting wasn't the best and neither was the camera man. drunk.gif If you're interested in a detailed photo of a specific fly in this group, let me know.

Any suggestions besides AA LOL

user posted image

Scott,

This is the pattern that has been so productive for Rick and Tim during the grey drake hatch. I tried like hell to match the wing, but it must be hare's foot. Cottontail was too short.

user posted image

Here's an all purpose version. Somehow the picture has an orange hue. Tan body, grey wing and a medium brown shuck.

user posted image

Trying to get close to a hennie, I came up with this one.

user posted image

Thanks Ralf! Nice pictures.

Man looks like I need to head to the fly shop and pick up some more materials!

Hey Tim

Have you ever seen rabbit's foot with hair this long? Even the snowshoe rabbit was too short. Think it may be a desert hare?

Guest Ladykiller

Yes Ralf, I have some at home. Let me ty up a fresh pattern tonight. Email me the picture of that bunny emerger so I can copy it .... I don't have any left in my flybox and I don't want to forget anything.

Tim

You could also try one of the two flies I can tie reasonably well, Hares Ear.

Here's how it differs from the usual tieing.......

Use fine gold wire for the rib, use hare's ear fur for the body, use olive thread, and tie in sizes 12 to 16. Don't weight or add gold heads etc.

Tie as normal, with a slim body, but dub the thorax more to make it a little bulkier.

tie off the head, varnish and leave to dry.

With a needle, pick out the dubbing so the fly has a "woolly" appearance. Closely trim the body, starting at the tail, up to the thorax.

You now have a slim-bodied fly with a fluffy thorax.

Time taken to make - about five minutes for everything.

Fished best either at a rising fish, or pulled sub-surface in front of a rising fish.

If I can work out how to place a pic - and my camera will focus that small - I'll send in a photo blink.gif

Cheers,

David