Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyAddict

Tube fly Attachment for Vise

HMH makes a tube fly tool that attaches to your vice, they also make a vise primarily for tube flies.

they also sell an assortment of tubes and accesories.

also you can check out tubeflies.com for some more info. there isnt much there yet, but according to tony he is going to do a major update on jan. 1st.

FlyAddict - If you do not own a tube fly attachment, but want to try tying tube flies, you can do it by cutting the eye and hook point off a streamer hook. You could also use a blind-eye (no eye) salmon hook to support the tube.

I normally use the HMH tube fly attachment in my vise, but earlier this summer I learned to tye tubes flies on a modified hook. I showed photos of both methods in the article I wrote for the October edition of Hatches Magazine (http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/october2006/271).

I found it very fast and easy to tye tubes on the modified hook. I simply slid the tubing over the hook until the junction tubing snugged into the hook bend. I could also rotate the fly around if I needed to, or slide it off to reverse ends.

Figured I'd pass this along as another option in case you wanted to play around with tube flies without buying another piece of hardware. Hope this helps.

Oh, if you get serious about tying tube flies, I would recommend the HMH tube fly mandrel with the round disks at the end, instead of the cheaper version that has the L-shaped bend.

post-4573-1166136808_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1166136831_thumb.jpg