Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TimmyG

Surf fly fishing the pacific coast of Mexico

I want to do some surf fishing again this year when I go to Puerto Vallarta.

What is a good line for casting into the surf?

What are some fly suggestions?

I am used to lake fly fishing for trout, walleye and pike. I am not used to casting into the waves of an incoming tide... last year it was a bit of a disaster for me and my intermediate sink tip chortland line... I definately had the wrong expectations of what the line would do. What a dissapointment it barely sank. Going Feb 17 so I have a little time to prepare this year.

I'm open to any suggestions.

TimmyG:

First of all, may you have a very happy new year!!!!!!!

Secondly, living in Alberta, I assume your line is not for tropical weather and temperatures. Temperatures in and around Vallarta soar to the upper 90's F (upper 30's C). Your line turns gooey and behaves like chinese noodles!!!!!!! Try to get your hands on a good full sinking or FS line, intended for tropical use. I live down Mexico way and ocasionally fish for tarpon and snook in the salt around Cancun and in freshwater for largemouths in hot weather. I normally fish for trout in Central Mexico's mountains.

The first time I ever went flyfishing in Cancun for tarpon & snook, I made the mistake of taking with me the same tackle I used for cold water and it was a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up borrowing tackle from a friend of my son and the difference was outstanding.

I hope to have found the answer to your problem.

As for flies, I love to use Clousers & Creases (1/0 to 3/0) plus Orange Seaducers in 1/0.

May your line stay tight while in Vallarta!!!!!!!! Fish from the rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! You could end up catching roosters (not uncommon in Vallarta).

hen fishing the surf here in Louisiana, I always go with 3 lines: a floating, an intermediate and a full sinking...all on their own spools, so they can be quickly changed. Which line gets used depends at which depth the fish are biting that day. Which line you use will also probably depend on whay species you are targeting.

Mark Delaney