Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

crayfish patterns

Good day to ya, Jim....

Jim, over the years I have talked with many tiers about crayfish patterns and a general thought is shared among quiet a few of them...the simpler the better. i was once told that if it takes more than five minutes to tie a crawdad, it's too "pretty". In your opinion, when it comes to crawdad patterns, is simpler really better?

Yup. I don't spend more then 2 minutes max on flies. You don't need the fine details, just the silouette. A good pattern is a GP. Split the tail so it flares out to a V. Tie it up in darker colors. Some people go way too realistic. You don't need that fine of details. Especially on the crustacean patterns. I do quite well for chinook and coho stripping my makeshift shrimp patterns. Nothing fancy, but work extremely well. I tie up some crawdad patterns for river fishing for steelhead. Usually in browns/dark oranges. Not fancy, just functional.

i like to tie shrimp patterns, but in smaller sizes...really effective for smallies and big 'gills. My favorite crawdad is a very simplified Dave's Craw rip off....very effective.....just wanted to compare notes...thanks!!!!

Here's a shrimp pattern. Can be switched to a more brownish orange for a crawfish. This is what I use for sandshrimp in the rivers here, and variation I mentioned above for crawdads for steelhead.

user posted image

nice lookin' fly! I tie almost the same pattern using a tobacco brown colored micro mink zonker....great minds think alike!!!!

If you really want to get simple for craws or shrimp there are many Bonefish type flies that will also work, especially in the small sizes!

Crazy Charlies, Squimps, Bunny Bones, Gotchas all work well.

I use the crazy charlie /clouser minnow style of tye to make a awesome carp pattern. I use a size 6 or 8 hook, 1/50 lead eyes or bead chain for skinny water. A tuft of fox hair in brown, black, silver, etc. Presto! It's my #2 carp fly, and my #1 non-dry carp fly. It is great on big 'gills and redbreast in the river.

For bass I use a modified bugger with chamois claws and rubber hackle tail, lead eyes, and only palmer the rear half

Dan

Steelheader, you should put that pattern into the archive. That thing would be terrific for Redfish and seatrout here in Florida.

That is a great looking crawdad pattern , I also tie a pretty simple version for the bass in my area..... (tying the fly only takes a few minutes after you finish bumbing with the deer hair claws).....

post-5-1065048014.jpg