Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

peacock herl for quill body

this time of year the bwos around here are very dark. so i have been stripping peacock herl and using it for quill body on them with dark dun cdc for wings. i take a dark olive dubbing to shape the body and then quill over it to cover it so i don't have to wrap and wrap the quill. this has been a killer fly for me on holston tailwaters in tennessee. works good either high and dry or just in the film on top as a emerger. put a little frog fanny on it. anybody use that stuff it is great too.

just wondering

sorry no pic i drown my dig camera fishing late last summer. oopps! but that is another story. very simple though tie in the tail of phesant tail tips. them take dubbing very lightly to for body shape. wind thread back to bend tie in peacock herl that you took an pencil eraser to strip the fuzz off of. wind covering the dubbing then leave a little room for wing. tie in a few bunchs of cdc for a wing. or a puff of cdc i prefer the other not the puffs. but you choose which works best for you. tie off make a head and cement. very simple. oh ya before winding the quill wet it save lots of headaches.

I live in Missouri and fish the Ozarks . Little Niangua White river. Current river . Meramac in Missouri and the White and Norfork in Arkansas. The BWO's I tie are the tradtional Catskill's pattern with Iron blue dun hackle tip wings and collar hackle.

Tube

Years ago I tied a smaller sized dragonfly nymph with olive shades of yarn and stripped herl appendages; it was killer on Cape trout ponds and North Shore fresh water.