Fly Tying
mozes

Tying crazy chrlies

I have a couple of questions about tying wings on crazy charlies:

1. What material can I use besides calf tail" Can I use deer tail?

2. If I'm tying an eopxy body crazy charlie is there a trick to holding wing out of the way during epoxy process? Do I tie the wing after I epoxy the body?

Thanks,

Mozes

Materials I have used for Charlies:

1. Deer hair.

2. Ultra hair.

3. Feathers (2 with shiny sides out).

4. Krystal flash.

5. Craft fur.

6. Combo of any of the above.

Epoxy on the fly: Haven't done this, but I'm guessing you are either looking to make the fly more sturdy, or to give it a bigger body profile without over-doing it on the wing.

I usually take a couple of strands of krystal flash or a material like Bill's Body Braid, tie in behind the lead/bead eyes and wrap back to the bend, then back and use the rest to figure 8 around the eyes. After tying in the wing and whip finishing the head, apply head cement/Sally's HAN. Coat the bottom of the wraps under the eyes and the bottom of the wrapped flash. This helps protect the fly when you pull it across the the flat's bottom/coral.

If you're looking for the fly to have a bigger body profile, you can tie in 12-120lb mono behind the eyes and up to the bend, wrap flash around both the hook shank/mono shaft, then wrap the mono back around the hook shank/mono shaft, similar to that of a glass minnow.

If you're committed to using epoxy, I recommend to apply the epoxy to the fly BEFORE tying in the wing.

Take care and have fun at the vise,

Mitch

Just about any material can be used for the wing of a Crazy Charlie. Calt tail, fish hair, ultra hair and marabou are good choices. Deer hair and buck tail are not as water absorbant as the other materials and the fly will either not sink or sink slower unless you put on bar bell eyes.

Here are a couple of the step by steps that I have done. One for the Crazy Charlie and the other for my Epoxy Charlie. Not only will these show you how to tie them but will answer all of your questions about the wings and the epoxy.

Crazy Charlie - Crazy Charlie

Epoxy Charlie - Epoxy Charlie

Hope that these will help you.

If you can find it, badger fur makes a great substitute for calftail. It's a little finer textured, and usually a little straighter, but otherwise looks just like calftail. You will have to remove the longer guard hairs however.

Another good substitute is American Opossum, and again the guard hairs need to be removed. Opossum has black tips, and when dyed gives a very nice effect on Charlies & other patterns. Just something different.

Also don't over look Arctic Fox or rabbit fur, both of which have marabou like action. wink.gif

Yes, yes and yes- I scanned quickly and am glad all the other guys weighed in so admirably. Personally I would do a epoxy body before the winging.

Also, don't forget about squirrel tail(s) AND different types of marabou feathers; both may be used in tailing, winging or 'legging'.

Hope this helps.

I just put on a picture and a little history on this fly to help out in the fly archive and saltwater board.

SDH, those are great flies, but keep in mind that they look more like "other" named bonefish flies. I would not consider them Crazy Charlies. Although they take the "style" of CC's... they appear more like other type bonfish flies... for example the orange one might be considered more of the Agent Orange or an Apricot Charlie. Others like Bird's Bonfish fly, Bonfish Joe Chicken fly, Bunny Bone, Chistmas Island Special, The Gotcha, Hoochy Caucci Fly, Interceptor, Nacho, Tan Chenille Charlie, and Yellow Clouser are all tyed similar to the Crazy Charlie but are different and have their appropriate names from the orriginator... so... just as point of understanding, you would have a series of "Charlie" flies...not "Crazy Charlies'. Just helping out here...

oh ok i need to learn some more salt water patterns the only other one that you mentioned that i know of is the gotcha

tied some more and i'll post a pic when i get a chance

thanks john