Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Cased Caddis - Photos

the great thing about this thread is the wonderful pics and the great information. I am the first to admit my own deficiencies, and AI love learning something new! Keep you the great work fellas! Before you know it, ALL of us will be able to identify any bug you chuck our way!!

In answer to the question, "Do they eat these?", the answer is yes. Although its been a while since I've kept any trout, does anyone remember gutting a trout and finding small stones and/or sticks in the stomach? Well, these are from eating caddis larvae that make stick or stone cases. Trout will eat them while "grubbing" off of the bottom or when the caddis drift to new locations. (Thank you Gary LaFontaine! If you don't have his book "Caddisflies" and you fish for trout, BUY IT!)

John

Hooligan, have you read 'Trout Flies,Proven Patterns'?

I highly recommend it. Much easier reading (not as technical) than 'Caddisflies' (nor in-depth). It includes his best recipes, color photos, journal entries and commentary for each fly. Really gets you thinking! Check it out.

Yes, I own "Trout Flies, Proven Patterns" and it is an easier read and more utilitarian, but it can't compare to the wealth of info in "Caddisflies" (at least from an entomology standpoint).

OT: I also have "The Dry Fly: New Angles." I think LaFontaine was great, rest his soul. That guy has helped me to catch a lot of fish. He'll be sorely missed.

John

Hey all, new here. thought you all would like this site / troutnut.com /

looks like poss. rhyacaphla, case cadis..........

jeff j_k.gif

Hey Smallie,

You inspired me to look at the bottoms of the rocks on Friday and guess what....I found a similar cased cadis (with small stone enclosure) with a black body.... I imitated it with a bead headed nymph and black/tan body like the pupa and guess what BAM nice rainbow in less than 15 minutes, even in muddy water.... Hmmm guess it is time to read more entomology and get dirty a bit more! I prefer dry flies, but dang when there is no hatch.... Thanks for the good discussion above mates... BTW, what books you use for basic trout stream entomology? dunno.gif ...looking for 1 or 2 to read from the library? Tight lines!

'Nix

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif