Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Couple of Tying Tools

Thought I would post pictures of a couple of tying tools I recently made. One is a rack for tools made out of scrap walnut. This is easy to make and holds lots of tying tools. Take three pieces of wood measuring about 6x6, 4x4 and 2x2 inches. Glue them together and then drill however many various diameter holes for the tools. Then screw a lazy susan rack on the bottom so you can turn the rack.

Second is a dubbing twister which someone posted a picture of earlier. I made mine out of Mahogany with a couple of wood inlays to spruce it up. Instead of the Xacto knive collet, I used a piece of 5/16 inch dowell rod to mount in the roller skate bearing-it fits nice and tightly in the bearing. Then I screwed a small hook eyelet in the end and mounted a turning handle on the other end. These are really handy for forming dubbing brushes out of materials that are hard to dub directly on the thread. There's a bit of a learning curve to get the dubbing evenly distributed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Dave