Fly Tying

Crawdad Trap

Hey yall, I have planned to go to this little creek camping with a few of my buddies, to do a little small mouth, largemouth, and catfishin, and really, whatever else bights, a week from friday. Crawdad`s would be the ideal thing to use. I found this crawdad trap in my brothers closet, and since he`s off to college, I don`t figure he`ll need it this weekend, so I`m going to put it to good use, that is if I can figure out how to use it. I know you have to put somethin in it to bait the crawdad`s in, but what do you have to use? Thanks! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

try chicken necks, chicken bones, dog food, stuff like that. in the case of dog food, i'd put it in something like a peanut butter jar and poke holes in it. Ideally you want to keep the "bait" in the center of the trap so they can't just reach from the outside and get at it.

steve

I heard just anything stinky works. So, I think I`m gonna put some turkey guts, if I get a turkey saturday, in the trap. Think that will work? -redneck

My Dad and I catch keeper gills and use the non-keeper parts to bait our dad-traps. Don't know if your trap is the same as ours but we'll tie the parts to the bottom of the trap, about the middle, so, when trap is on bottom, there's no way for the dads to access the booty except entering the trap. We do this on overnighters and such. If I wanted dads for a specific trip, I'd go to a creek and seine or flip rocks. May your reel scream just as you nod off. laugh.gif