Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Onshore

First Striper of ' 04

Got a tip from a friend yesterday on another forum and fished one of those little Sound-side streams that nearly dries up at low tide. Wasn't much doing at first, but later, away up in the first freshwater pool, I got my first Striper of the new season. Dark, carry-over fish of 18" hit a small, sparse white Clouser. When it hit, two other fish exited the pool downriver but I never managed to find them again. By now, they may well be off Monomoy.

Stream water temp was 49* but the Sound temp is only 42*.

I heard yesterday they are being taken at Block Island and a few at the West Wall. Martha's and Buzzards Bay will be next and the first bright fish should be taken at South Cape Beach within two weeks.

Now, there's a prediction for you............

Good to hear Bill! I am really hoping to see some pics of some of the stripers you guys are getting into this season! wink.gif

Billie- Don't forget to tell everyone that Falmouth is Bass City!!! rolleyes.gif (then you're sure to keep a few for you and Pete and Fred and the Mayor!!!! wink.gif )

Everyone knows that Falmouth if Bass City, Dave. But no one knows which Sound-side stream my first fish came from except Tony Stetzko cause he gave me the tip to go there..............

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Apr 22 2004, 12:08 PM)
Good to hear Bill! I am really hoping to see some pics of some of the stripers you guys are getting into this season!  wink.gif

Pictures will come in time, Smallie. Truth is, I really wasn't expecting to get anything and didn't even have it with me. Now that there are confirmed reports of "bright" fish in Buzzards Bay, West end of CCCanal, SouthCape Beach and off the mouth of the Bass River, I have just put a camera in my surf bag and in my fly gear bag.

And, I've got one of the Joppa Flats fly tiers visiting tomorrow and Saturday and have both days off to fish...........

Having been a striper fisherman while stationed in RI, I can only tell you how envious I am of your season's first. And to think, you still have many more firsts left:

1. First bright striper

2. First keeper...that you'll put back wink.gif

3. First reeeely big cow

4. First blue

5. First Bonito

6. First Albie

7. First of many sleepy days at work due to long nights on the water.

I'll go mix a fruity drink complete with umbrella and hoist one for you.

Congratulations!

Glad to hear it. Striped Bass are one of my favorite fish to catch. Even on rodnreel they put up an awsome fight. Congrats. ttyl and tight lines.-Tim smile.gif

Fished Cockle Cove Creek this morning and the RCA site. Both looked good but did not produce on near dead low tide.