Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
catskilljohn

Green Highlander

IPB Image

Instead of an actual wing, I used goose shoulder in green and orange, along with bronze mallard and a teal front. As I am tying these, I started to wonder how they will swim since they dont have a hook bend to keep them upright. Its probably a good idea to tye them "in the round". Let me know what you think, CJ

I am really loving your conversions, John!

Your comment about the "tying in the round" made me realize that these would also make killer tube conversions.

Awesome tie!! Wow!

I'm really intriqued by tying on these waddington hooks and also trying tube flies, I just ordered a pile of tube fly stuff, so we'll see.

So do you just tie the mono to the hook, then attach it to the end of the shank of the waddington? what knots do you use?

Beautiful flies coming out of your vise lately, really great.

Damian.

Damian,

I am sure you could use mono, but the material I have is more like a plastic coated wire called "fire-line", probably equivelant to 1x mono.

I cut a section, double it and put it through the eye of the stinger hook, so there is a loop that the hook goes through,pull it tight and cinch it to the eye. The nice thing about doing it this way is if you were to damage a hook fishing it, you could loosen the loop and switch out the hook without having to throw the fly away.

Then with the doubled section that goes to the Waddington shank, wrap it the whole length with the tag ends hanging over the eye of the Waddington, pull them back over the wrapped shank and bind them down again. This will insure they wont pull out.

Thanks for the comments, I will post more as they come along! CJ