Fly Tying

Hello to everyone. I've been fly fishing for around 20yrs and tying commercially for 18. I mostly fly fish in salt water chasing inshore and flats species here in Australia. I used to fly fish for trout when I lived in Tasmania - these days I get a fix every spring before the salt water action starts. I like to fish native fresh water species sometimes. Hell, as long as it has fins, I'll throw a fly at it.

I have been writing the salt water fly colomn for FlyLife magazine now for nine years. Occasionally I'll get motivated and submit a feature, but not too often.

I'm a tackle rat. My wife doesn't understand why I need so many rods, as I don't bring many fish home (I release most of my catch).

I started rod building 2 years ago. Its as good as the first time I caught a fish on my own fly - every time.

I own too many Thomas and Thomas fly rods, and am looking at the new Helix, which is bothering my dear wife.

I tie around 2000 flies each year which supports my addiction to fly fishing... Almost. This looks like a great site - the quality of the rod building forum convinced me to join, so if I can help anyone out I'm only too happy to return the favour.

Regards,

Chris Beech

ps - don't know where that bait fisherman sign came from!

Welcome aboard Chris Beech

We are glad to get a member with such experience from down-under.

I am sure you will be a asset to this web site and a source of knowledge for the rest of the members of this board.

Feel free to add your opinion to any thread that interests you and don't worry about the Bait fisherman thing that will disappear once you have made some posts.

OSD.

Welcome from across the pond! It looks like you will fit into this place just fine and I would love to see some of the patterns that you guys use where your from and what species you target.

Hope to see you around often!

Heheheh WELCOME, mate!

I can't wait to hear fish stories from across the pond! One day (ok, in like 20 years) I will fish in New Zealand and Australia (while the wife is in the spa or shopping)...

'Nix

P.S. I know NOTHING about fish over there or the flies they use...educate us!

A digital camera is something on the shopping list for later in the year, so you'll have to hold tight on the photos. Might get a transparency transfered to disk in the next couple of weeks. If you want to drool over our fish, check out these web sites www.flylife.com.au and www.weipaflyfish.com.au

They will give you a taste of what's down under. Glad to be aboard.

Regards,

Chris

Welcome CB, glad you are able to join this bunch of fun guys and gals. You have found a second home here. I was twisted when I first joined and saw "bait fisherman". Not that there is anything wrong with it, I still do it, but fly fishing has my interest for now (only been doing it for about 5 yrs.). So sit back and enjoy.

QUOTE (Chris Beech @ May 2 2004, 03:14 AM)
ps - don't know where that bait fisherman sign came from!

Welcome Chris,

I too was caught off guard by the "Bait Fisherman" when I joined. From my short time experiance on this site, I recall that that 'label' was changed once I had posted about 10 posts. It seems to be a way to indicate that you are relative newcommer. I see on your posts that at this point, you have only posted two times. Keep posting and you will be "promoted" beyond the Bait level.

If you want a more detailed explaination, send a PM to SmallieHunter. He is one of, if not the, main admins on this site. When I first joined, I was home sick for a while. I had time on my hands and went through many of the help pages. There is lots of good info there when you have the time to cruise through them.

More later,

Ken S.