Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Dubbing Technique?

The patterns that I have tied and the flies that I regularly use have never called for "dubbing". I'm trying to expand my horizons some and to learn some new techniques. One of the techniques I'm gonna mess with a little bit is dubbing. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks that might make this process a little easier.

I have found one technique by doing some searching which the guy calls "spin dubbing": http://home.earthlink.net/~magfly/dubbing.htm

I have heard that other people dub without the use of wax.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be great thumbup.gif

There are a couple different methods, all are used in different situations.

On most materials, wax and a dubbing loop isn't needed. You can normally work the softer materials (most synthetics, softer furs) onto the line with your fingers. Gently rolling material around the thread.

But, on stiffer materials (like seal fur), you will need a dubbing loop. The material just doesn't want to lay down on the thread, no matter how hard you try. I normally add just a tad of wax (I have some wax that has lasted me eon's). Just enough so dubbing will stick to the thread. You still have to spread up on the line so you have material even. Now, you need some sort of dubbing tool. Can use any sort of weighted hook, an actual dubbing tool, or like myself, I've built my own. Simply run the thread through the tool/hook, and OVER the fur (basically trapping the fur inbetween the thread). You can make the loop first, and put the material in after. But I like doing it the other way. Just my preference. Start twisting the thread until your body comes to shape. Pick out any material, if desired.

You can also cheat, by using leech yarn. Comes in a variety of colors. You tie in like chenille, and use it same way. Basically predubbed stuff. BUT, personally, I like to build up my own. That way you can custom color without too much bulk.

Lastly. Don't just take the material out of a bag and toss it on the thread. You have to prep it, depending on body you want. A little preperation will make dubbing so much easier. One big mistake is doing what I just mentioned, piling dubbing out of bag onto thread. Get lumpy bodies, or just doesn't lay right. I used to have an old article from years ago, if I find it, will scan and post. Helped me out TREMENDOUSLY when i was tying. Hopefully, I still have that old mag (about 20 years old now).

The problem I always tend towards is using too much dubbing material. The rule of thumb I now use is estimate what I think looks right and then use 1/3rd of that. It's amazing how little you really need, especially on a dry fly pattern.

When I first started, all i did was wet my fingers and roll the clipped fur on the thread, then wrap. I remember when I first started spinning dubbing loops. I read about the technique, but couldn't grasp it in my mind. I read that a lot of Harry Murray'spatterns used it and had him show it to me. After that it helped so much. It's amazing what a visual can do for you. Now with the internet, i'm sure everything is on there for the beginner.

Dan

Yeah I agree the biggest mistake beginners make is using too much dubbing and not enough pressure when they are applying it. Take about half as much as you think you need and then take 10% of that and you should be about right. You can always add a little more if needed. A little wax is helpful sometimes. When heavier dubbing is required (that furry thorax on Hares ear nymphs) use a dubbing loop. basically all you are doing is pulling out 6-8 inches of thread (which is already wrapped on shank) and holding it in your fingers , then go back up and wrap around where the string comes off the shank forming a loop. you then slip dubbing materials between the thread at the top of the loop, then give the thread loop a couple of twists thereby trapping the materials between the threads. just continue adding material and twisting untill you have enough for the task at hand. then twist the dubbing loop quite a few turns to tighten it up and pull out any loose dubbing material. Then advance the thread on your hook shank to where you want the dubbing to stop, and wrap your dubbing loop to that point and tie it in with your thread. you are done. After a couple of times you'll know how much you need to tie the fly's you are working on.

Have fun!

Oh by the way I was just using the finger example to simplify things, they make tools that hold the thread apart for you and enable you to spin the loop easier. You can easily make your own with a bent paper clip. Simply bend the clip so it looks like a y it is easy to do if you have ever seen one if you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll try and explain it better or simply look on-line at dubbing tools and you'll get the idea.

On small flies and dry's I've gone to using antron yarn instead. It is easy to work with and looks great. If I want a really buggy look then I go with fur (squirrel, rabbit) and use the dubbing loop just for the ease of it.