Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hellgrammite

Books needed on tying and aquatic insects, help please

Hello folks.

I got started tying about a year ago, and it seems that fly fishing and tying are going to be long term hobbies (addictions?) for me. I have been working with a starter vise (you know, them 12 dollar ones made in some 3rd world country) and materials contained in a kit i was given, as well as a few given to me by friends. Tools and materials, i know what to get, but i am looking for books on both tying trout flies as well as books on aquatic insects themselves. I have an orvis introduction to tying book and AK Best's Fly Box (which, for those that dont have it, is an incredible book!)

Due to where i live, its mostly brookies and browns for me, occasionally i will get brave and go fight the mobs for the lake run steelhead, but my poor little 4 wt dosent seem to be ideal for those big guys...i sometimes must resort to a spinning rod... :(

Anyway, the task at hand is...what are your reccomendations for books on trout flies and water insects? I must be some kind of nerd, i have almost as much fun watching the bugs as i do fishing, but i suppose looking at bugs trout eat is time well spent. Thanks, Tim

i have to agree w/ hot tuna-

Dave Hughes 'essential trout flies' is a great book to really get you going- you will learn how to tie a lot of very productive flies and gain the skills to move on to just about anything else you can find- after working throught he book- i suggest just moving on to the internet for new ideas.

B) , R.