Fly Tying
cornmuse

A Question about Sylvester Nemes

This may sound a strange question, but I just returned from the local used book store with a copy of the book "Six Months in Scotland" and subtitled "An American View of its Salmon Fishing". The book is hardcover and, like Sylvester Nemes' other books is a slim volume.

I didn't see this when I purchased the book, but when I got home and started reading it I noticed what appears to be an autograph by Syl Nemes in a black rollerball script with the words "Salar's Nemesis above". It appears to be hand written, but such is the state of current printing that this could easily be a printed script, too.

Here's the interesting kicker; above the title is the Salar's Nemesis fly tied as described in the text. It is glued to the page.

Is this a "special edition" I have found of this interesting little book or were all the hard cover volumes so embellished? Any chance this is a real autograph? I only paid $6, so I am pretty pleased with my purchase regardless, but it would be all the sweeter if I had a signed first edition with a fly tied by Nemes himself!

Thanks for any information.

Joe C.

cornmuse, I have all of Sylvester Nemes books. All of them are signed. When I purchased them as signed copies they're signed Syl Nemes. His script is legible.

The ones with a personal message he signed: Syl Nemes, then wrote the message under that and signed the note Syl.

I enjoy all of Sylvester's books. He spoke to the Heart of America Fly Fishers 4 or 5 years ago and is a delightful guy.

I think the true value of your book is in it's enjoyment. To find out it's worth you would need to go to Anglers Bookcase, or someone who knows the value of the books.

McManus

McManus wrote;"I think the true value of your book is in it's enjoyment. To find out it's worth you would need to go to Anglers Bookcase, or someone who knows the value of the books."

While I wasn't looking for a value assesment per se, I did take your advice to check out Angler's Bookcase. This is what I found "Nemes, Sylvester: "Six Months in Scotland", 1998 Self-Published, 1st Edition 1st Printing, Fine in Fine DJ, Signed by the Author w/fly tied by author tipped in." It seems my book is autographed and does have a fly tied by Syl Nemes himself. biggrin.gif

This is the second such luck I have had. I purchased "Tying and Fishing the Thunder Creek Series" by Fulsher from an Ebay auction for $5 and that copy was a first pressing that was autographed by the author. This Nemes book (BTW, I have the soft hackles collection and really enjoy Nemes' writing) I got for $6 at Half Priced Books. I didn't see the autograph or fly till I got home. Yesterday was a good day!

Thanks for the tip about AB.

JC

cornmuse: Way to go!!! Don't lose the contact at Angler's Bookcase, they're great people and work hard to earn your business. More than once he's gone on a "search" for me--successful each time!