Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hellgrammite Bugger

This is a variation of the wooly bugger that I have been messing. The only difference in this fly than the WB is that I tie in the tail last instead of first. This way I pull the marabou over the body which looks more like a real hellgrammite because they have the hard collars and that folds down the hackle which gives the appearance of legs.

user posted image

Nice looking fly !

I have fished a couple of different Hellgramite patterns with no success.

I hear how effective than can be on Smallies, but I have yet to see it. I would think I would at least get a reaction strike.

On the river I mostly fish, the Allegheny river I have not seen a Dobson fly.

I think the water system doesn't have this bug ! Would be neat to see one of them with the big pincers.

Well back in the day I used live Hellgrammites exclusively for smallies. Smallmouth love Hellgrammites when they can get them, so maybe there is not a good population of Hellgrammites in the streams your fishing dunno.gif

If you have never fished with a live Hellgrammite, they are the meanest, nastiest most evil insect on the planet that will draw blood if they get ahold of you ohmy.gif

Sh,

is this the pattern we discussed on the phone? looks good, gonna try it this weekend now that it appears the weather is going to cooperate?

Yea that's the pattern! I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend if the weather is OK. I heard from a guy that uses live hellies and he said they are getting pretty tough to get them so I'm hoping that the smallmouth are starting to get a real appetite for them.

As a fisheries science student, we are on the rivers a lot with a seine, whether kick seining or shocking into the seine, we always end up with some hellgramites along with our fish. If you want some fun, try picking through about 5 lbs of minnow, darters, MADTOMS, CRAYFISH and HELLGRAMITES. You quickly learn to be careful, they can bite!!! They are a neat looking crature though, and fish love them. We used to use them for bait and every fish in teh river would eat em. They would hold up for a few rock bass adn then catch a nice smallie. I use a pattern like Harry Murray touts. It's basically a bugger with ostirch instead of maibou, it holds together better in the water instead of fluffing apart. I don't use the rubber band pinchers like he does though. I find this a small fish lure, even in large sizes. I think mostly smaller fish eat them, but large ones will if they are easy, but would prefer bigger morsels. Plus, I'd rather activeley fish a streamer or popper than dead drift a nymph

Dan