Fly Tying
troutkiller08

palmered hackle

hi i bought some indian hen neck feathers for palmered hackles..... mainly wooly buggers..... i cant afford anything else yet is there anything i can do to make theses hackles work???????

Do you need woolly bugger hackle? I'll send you send. Screw Customs.

how big of a bug you need to tie some time the hackle will not reach around the hole bug if using the wrong size for size 2 and 4 use strung neck hackle in purple black and olive marabou same color and chenille in any bright color plus the colors listed is all you need for woolly buggers indian neck are small feathers if you got black i tye my stone flies with 2mm foam and black biots and indian neck hackle black like so can be used every were on tons of different flies

IPB Image

Hey Mate, you can go to one of your neighbors that has chooks and get a couple of necks from him and they should fill your bill. You can palmer your hackle from either end and use a wire or thread overwrap on them for durablility. I lived down under with my Kiwi wife for a few years and you have some great fishing down there. Jump over to New Zealand when you get a few bob and try some really great fishing.

Or just trap some weka and kiwi birds. They taste pretty good, as well. :D

ha ha thanks everyone..... we have native hens that are always getting ran over.... is it worth trying there hackle????????..... dave i will take you up on that offer and because my flies for my first swap got over ok i will send the cat fur and flies to u soon

How old are you TK'08? Are you strugglin' just a bit for $ or anything? ...........don't worry bout it.......most of us have been there at one time or another.......just lemme know wass up. You can keep it private if you like. I can put you together a care package anytime........materials, i GOT! Like i said, just lemme know........ ;) mark..... :thumbsup:

Just tie the whoolly bugger like normal but only hackle the front half to third of the hook. It'll catch the fish just as well. I love india hen hackle for flies. My "addiction" topic in the coldwater fly tying uses india hen for hackle and is basically just a fancy bugger.

Hey TK08, just lemme know anytime........btw, try your Wollies "both" ways......do some by way of tyin' your hackle in dull side forward and some with your hackle tyed in shinny side forward.........you'll get a different look each way, and different "action" in the water. One "flows," one "pulses." Always have both with you on the stream.............also do some with extra long hackle........saddle hackle and "fold" it first before tyin' it in. I call 'em Spey Buggers. Or sometimes put an extra collar in the front.......and do them with as many different body types and materials as you can possibly think of and in EVERY color you can...........there are hundreds of ways to do Wollies........litterally.....even "Glorified" :hyst: .....or so i've been told. :D Experiment with your tails, using different kinds of flash material..........the "KEY" is to use your imagination to it's FULLEST extent. Stretch the boundries until they dissapear. Trust me, you'll have BIG FUN!!!!! mark..... :)