Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

How do you store your flies with weedguards?

How do you all store flies with weedguards and acually keep the weedguards fresh? I'd like to avoid throwing them in a tackle box.

I'm constantly fishing around oyster rakes and those things claim so many flies it's not funny, even those tied with dumbbell eyes.

A difficult problem I suffered with for years until I surrendered to conventional tackle boxes.

I now store flies with weed guards (wets and poppers) in conventional plastic lure boxes with removable inserts (Plano type).

I also limit the number of flies I take onto the water, so I can use a smaller size box.

In a boat, or onshore near a vehicle, a larger box is no issue and I might bring a soft sided case with several large boxes all packed with different large poppers (for bass onshore or reds/specks/jacks offshore).

Taking a tackle box the size of a piece of luggage fly fishing may seem strange, but it keeps your flies how you want 'em.

How do you all store flies with weedguards and acually keep the weedguards fresh? I'd like to avoid throwing them in a tackle box.

I'm constantly fishing around oyster rakes and those things claim so many flies it's not funny, even those tied with dumbbell eyes.

I use 3 zip lock plastic bags in small size(one for heavy flies,one for medium and one for light flies)but if you fish exclusively with weedguards flies,a rigid plastic box is maybe better :dunno:

Plano boxes work well but I've started using boxes lined with slit foam, like a Bugger Barn. If the fly has a post type weed guard just push the bend of the hook in so the eye stands up a bit. Nice thing about foam is you can see all your flies.