Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jrace

Steelhead Flies

I spent the afternoon trying to learn more steelhead fly tying techniques ---started this summer.

Any feedback welcome - or ideas what this might resemble??

post-17123-1225151867_thumb.jpg

post-17123-1225151876_thumb.jpg

a bit hard to see in any real detail because the pics won't allow up-close veiwing........but the colors are great and the over-all concept looks good.......quite adventurous and imaginative.........just keep workin at it.........the more you tye, the more you'll like the results. mark..... ;)

Looking pretty good....here is what I see.

Use less GP tippet fibers for the tail...the length is fine, but I wouldn't make it any longer. The main wing ( I assume is turkey) could have a few less fibers as well.

I like the body sections, just be sure to leave more room for the head next time.

We can't tell you what it might resemble......your the tyer/artist. Do some more research on Steelhead and their food sources from birth in the river, to their life in the sea. Think about what they look like and how those food items move, then choose your materials accordingly. I would say your fly could be viewed as a shrimp, but I'm no steelhead.

Keep tying!!

Frank

I think you have come far on the road and it is often difficult with heads but it is just to train, continue to upload images

you can also try using hair in the wing :)

Micke