Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HobbesFly

Spanish Elk Hair Caddis

Hi Firetiger and Hobbes, I am with you. Just having a little fun with the name. BTW what is Spanish Nymphing?

Cheers, Futzer.

I was searching online for the kind of nymphing that I had been introduced to by Riley Cotter, who is on Fly-fishing Team USA. He said that they just called it "Euro-nymphing", but somewhere online it said that it's Spanish nymphing. It's basically a three-fly rig: a dry as an indicator, a heavy nymph as an anchor, and a small attractor as a point fly. I could be wrong, but I think that the correct term for it is Spanish nymphing. Anyone with any other ideas, feel free to post.

Thanks for the research HobbesFly, Too bad it is not legal in Utah, we have a two fly limit to each line. You learn something every day, if not you're just not paying attention.

Cheers, Futzer.

Well, we learn new things every day. This Spanish rig seems as a nightmare to cast, but it will probably work. I personaly stick to 2 flies max even though our legal limit is 3; the tangles are just not worth it.

By the way there is a traditional Spanish style of wet fly fishing, but they use very different flies from this caddis and the whole thing is quite different from fly fishing as we know it. A little description is on http://www.gallosdeleon.com/Ingles/El_Bole...pescar_ing.html

Well, we learn new things every day. This Spanish rig seems as a nightmare to cast, but it will probably work. I personaly stick to 2 flies max even though our legal limit is 3; the tangles are just not worth it.

By the way there is a traditional Spanish style of wet fly fishing, but they use very different flies from this caddis and the whole thing is quite different from fly fishing as we know it. A little description is on http://www.gallosdeleon.com/Ingles/El_Bole...pescar_ing.html

It is pretty bad to cast, but you don't really "cast" it as you would think. You've got basically a 15 ft leader that's more or less untapered, and you just throw it with a big open loop onto the water, high-stick it to maintain contact with your dry (Spanish EHC), and watch and wait.

It really doesn't tangle that bad if you really focus on what you're doing. I usually just work my way upstream by throwing 3 or 4 casts in an area I like, moving a couple of feet with the rig dragging behind me, and throwing it again. It takes a bit to get used to, but it's extremely effective in medium-to-fast moving streams.

Again, thanks for the input!