Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Feather Brain by striblue

For anyone out there who enjoys using baitfish imitations I suggest you take a look at striblue's "Feather Brain" pattern that he created and uploaded to the fly pattern database. He ties it for saltwater but can be tied to match almost any type of baitfish out there. He also took step by step photos and is real indepth as far as the instructions go. If I'm not mistaken this fly is going to be in Fly Tyer Magazine sometime(I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong).

It really deserves a look, here's a link: http://flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=fly...show&showid=104

Thanks Smallie... This fly was in a 5 step pattern in the July-Aug edition of "Flyfishing In Saltwater"... The Crab Apple and Flounder will be in the Spring issue of 'Fly Tyer Magazine".

Your flies are really good. I'm currently working on the ULTIMATE Emerald Shiner. I came up with a good one, but today I had an inspiration, (I really did; I was getting into the shower before work and turned the water off, jumped out and ran to my tying table! user posted image ) and I made an alteration that I'm gonna test hopefully Friday and if it works, I'll add it to the file.

Thanks for that comment... I think that your way of "thinking" about things is the way to go.. don't be satisfied with coping everything... You will be surprised as you think about those everyday flys... and we all know that new flys show up all the time.... from people like you..who always think about altering existing patterns... to make presentations different and to improve on appearance and action.. Looking forward to what you come up with.... make it your ultimate goal that some day soon ALL your flys in your fly boxes will be your own... and that they work...experiment, tear them apart.. start over...use different materials than the ones you see ...until you are satisfied.