Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Wool Head Sculpin

I was on the Allegheny River last week and it was as Brown as new dirt. Visibility was maybe 2 inches at best. After flailing away uselessly for a while, I realized that I needed something dark, that would push water, and be really noticable. I don't have any flies with rattles, so I turned to an old faithful: an Olive Wool Head Sculpin. It worked, and worked well! I caught 4 Bass in about an hour, when I hadn't even a bite before then.

This Sculpin always works for me in running water, but I rarely remember to use it. You got any flies like that? Flies that work faithfully, but for some reason you don't often use them?

I'm not gonna retire the Sculpin this time!

I have never fished sculpin patterns, but I like a big fat muddler. I would be better off sometimes if I remembered to stock up on that pattern.

if ya feel like giving something a try, i've had good lucky with frumpy seducers from time to time.

user posted image

its basically just chicakabou and dubbing.

steve

Hey, that looks really good! I'll have to try some of those with dumbell eyes added to make the hook point ride up. I read online somewhere from a midwestern guide about just using wraps of hackle to form the head and keep it light-weight for lighter rods.