Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Purple Peril

I was sitting around today after my son's birthday party thinking about how I can slip away this year to do a little steelhead fishing. Then I decided if I do get a chance to get away I better have some flies ready to go wink.gif .

So I found a pattern I was interested in and made a list and headed out to the fly shop, of course they are out of the fine silver tinsel so I had to get medium instead, but I knew I was tying for wishful thinking anyways so it didn't really matter. Oh well it was a nice evening at the vise! Here's a pic:

user posted image

Love the purple peril. A true steelhead classic of the NW. I'd suggest though to go with a silver oval tinsel. Gives the fly a nicer look. I only use flat tinsel on my bodies if it's a pure tinsel body (like a Winter's Hope) or part of my ribbing on spey flies. But overall, great fly. Has boated/landed alot of steelhead for me.

Nice fly Smallie. Try a craft store for the tinsel, it'd be cheaper too. You could also tie the body with yarn, floss or SLF dubbing.

I did check the craft store and they looked at me like I was crazy when I explained what I was looking for crazy.gif

I might check around a few more craft stores today if I get a chance.

Thanks Steelhead69 I will try the oval tinsel that should work a little better, it might be my swap fly if I can get it lookin a little better.

I went to a total of 4 craft stores looking for the oval tinsel with no luck cursing.gif

I figured it would be something that a craft store would have, but I guess not. I couldn't see driving 1 hour to where I usually buy my stuff just for some oval tinsel. Somebody needs to open up a fly shop in my area, because where I go is the Bass Pro Shop which has a very poor selection!

Sorry, yeah, you have to buy from a fly shop. I use Lagurtan oval tinsel. Medium is about the best way to go on most flies for steelhead. I'm sure if you ask Jim, he can hook you up with some.

You might want to try sending an order to Feather-craft. I've bought alot of my tying materials from them and I am very happy with their service(And they have oval tinsel tongue.gif).