Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

another southwest michigander

Hello everyone, great site here. I was referred by a freind and this forum is now bookmarked in my favorites. I live in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I have been tying for about 7 years now, and fly fishing as long. If anyone would like to go to the fly tying expo this year in mason, michigan, it is on december 6th. I will be tying there. If anyopne would like to see my flies here is a link. http://www.danica.com/flytier/jridderbos/j.../jridderbos.htm

Look forward to talking more to all of you.

john biggrin.gif

Just took a glance at some of your flies and I must say you got some awesome skills, Are some of those fly your own design?

Glad to have you as a member and hope you stop by often!

The only ones that are completely mine are the AJ nymph (I combined a hares ear, copper john, and a pheasant tail nymph in the design), and the TOM Damsel. Other than that I just make trout patterns that will work on bluegills, like adding centipede legs to a copper ribbed hares ear, ot the grey gnat, which is just any old wet fly style.

Thanks for kind words, and I plan on sticking around this forum.

john

yeah stop by, I will probably be tying across from Bear Andrews and Chris Helm. That is the spot that my tying buddy and I like to grab. That way we get some of their overflow smile.gif

As of right now I think I will be tying foam terrestrials of some sort, crickets, beetles, or hoppers.

john

That's cool. Helms and Andrews are usually my favorite places to hang out. And of course I always have to stop by and see Ray Schmidt and Larry.

My favorites at the show are always chris helm, dennis potter, bear andrews and Tony paglei. In that order, never really watched Ray tie, or Rusty gates for that matter. Not familiar with larry.

john

ridderbos.welcome this is one great site.I also live in s.w Michigan.Allegan to be frank.You have some nice fly's there.I am just getting started,so welcome.Someone will have to pm me on were the expo will be @ i will try and make it .

The expo is December 6th in mason michigan (20 miles north of jackson or so) at the ingham county fairgrounds.

John

Welcome aboard,

Checked out your flies, some real nice tyes. Look forward to your inputs.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

Welcome to the site. Im from Michigan as well, Mid-Michigan, Sagnasty. Last year was the first time I have went to the Mason show. I was highly inpressed!!! I got some killer deer hair for spinning from Chris Helms both. I cant remember his name but there was a guy there that was a deer hair master. He had some cool looking bait fish flies, and even had a fly that looked like a bat. I was fortunate to have him give me some tips on tying mice. This was the first time I had ever seen tube flies tied as well. Very interresting. I will be back this year. Hope to see some of you guys down there!!!