Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trout21

Daytona

well be going to daytona beach this summer and fishing on port orange pier all ive done is fish with spinning rods and caught pinfish mangrove snappers little redfish and a few flounder and catfish at night does anyone no any flies for these fish

well be going to daytona beach this summer and fishing on port orange pier all ive done is fish with spinning rods and caught pinfish mangrove snappers little redfish and a few flounder and catfish at night does anyone no any flies for these fish

A #2 or #4 clouser minnow usually works well for redfish and mangrove snappers.

Are you going to try and fly fish from the pier?

A #2 or #4 clouser minnow usually works well for redfish and mangrove snappers.

Are you going to try and fly fish from the pier?

Having grown up in Florida and fished just about every body of water in the state, I recommend you do not try to fly fish off a pier. Most of the piers have folks on them at all hours and they do not watch where they are going.Even fishing spinning or baitcasting gear can be a trial on a pier. Get off on the beach or wade or fish beside a bridge, you'll be safer and probably more productive. I also recommend you have some gear with backbone...just in case it's a snook or a tarpon that admires your clouser... ;)

Hit the intercoastal for jacks especially where canals come into the IC. Tarpon abound in those waters aswell and Redfish for that matter...I usaully fish north from Palm Coast to St agustine. Jacks were caught on foam poppers and uneventful for the Tarpon but I did see quite a few. Fish the inlets with a sinking line and baitfish imitations..Who knows what lurks in those waters.